Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody with either the Magnaflow or Catback system please post what it sounds like. Maybe a link to a sound clip or something?

I am really looking for a little more low-end torque and I think an aftermarket exaust is the answer.
However, I really don't want it to be annoyingly loud since I come home late at night from work on a regular basis and have young children sleeping. (I know this sounds stupid, but those of you with young kids know how important it is to make sure kids get a good night's sleep).

While I am at it, is one system better than the other?

Thanks.

·
on line
631 Posts
ive got maganaflow muffler, new y-pipe and custom piping. i removed the front resonators but kept the stock tail pipe so it would be somewhat quiter. its only loud when i get on it, so driving through a neighborhood it is fairly quiet.

·
on line
29 Posts
There are several X's in my area (St George, Utah) that are running Magnaflow exhausts. They kept the front resonators,replaced the Y pipe and muffler, and ran new pipe out the back minus the tailpipe resonator. The sound is low and mellow. Not real loud. My X is in the shop having the rear differential replaced under warranty. When I pick it up, I think I'll go with Magnaflow. Hopefully next week. This will be my first mod.

·
on line
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buzzard said:
. The sound is low and mellow. Not real loud. My X is in the shop having the rear differential replaced under warranty. When I pick it up, I think I'll go with Magnaflow. Hopefully next week. This will be my first mod.
Do me a favor and please post a sound clip if you can. I had a Magnaflow on my previous X (2002 SE/SC) and loved the way it made it sound.

·
on line
29 Posts
New exhaust installed today.Used double in-single out Magnaflow. Completely eliminates the "Y" pipe. Everything else stock, including the tail pipe and resonator. Total cost $235. It's not as quiet as I would like, but hopefully it will mellow with age. "Duck" I'm sorry I can't post a sound clip, I don't know how.

·
on line
29 Posts
I had my work done locally at Mikes Muffler shop. The invoice says Magnaflow Muffler and install with dual in. $225 plus tax. Magnaflow Muffler part #12268, 5 x 8 single/dual satin stainless.
I've had it on for 24 hours now and the interior noise is really annoying

·
on line
189 Posts
i got my Gibson Catback Exhaust put on today

i will post a sound clip up of itt soon

·
on line
29 Posts
I hope you're Gibson isn't as loud as my Magnaflow. I'm happy with the performance boost, and I have increased my gas mileage 17.5 and 17.6 on two tanks of gas- all in town driving ,from an average of 17 before the muffler change. The sound outside the vehicle is OK, but inside the drone is deafening. I can't even listen to music. The noise is driving me nutz. Next week I'll visit the muffler shop and see about tearing it out and starting over with something else. Any suggestions?

·
on line
631 Posts
Buzzard said:
The noise is driving me nutz. Next week I'll visit the muffler shop and see about tearing it out and starting over with something else. Any suggestions?
put 3 mufflers and 2 resonators on so its quiet :bounce:
when i had mine done, i tried out a few different mufflers. Flowmaster being the loudest and DynoMax being the quitest.... really quiet compared to the magnaflow but had a higher pitch sound so it sounded a little "ricey". Ravin has quieter mufflers but you can only get those at Midas i believe.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
Buzzard said:
I had my work done locally at Mikes Muffler shop. The invoice says Magnaflow Muffler and install with dual in. $225 plus tax. Magnaflow Muffler part #12268, 5 x 8 single/dual satin stainless.
I've had it on for 24 hours now and the interior noise is really annoying
5"x8" muffler, what is the body lenght? Mine is 24" and the only drone I get is when I'm passing 4000RPM. Needless to say, only when I'm "on it" getting on the freeway.

·
on line
29 Posts
My noisey Magnaflow has a body length of 18", and an overall length of 24". I have the same muffler on my '99 Jeep XJ and it's much quieter. There is some type of resonance set up by my exhaust system in the X's interior. I'll see what the muffler shop suggests.

·
on line
29 Posts
Replaced the stock tailpipe resonator with a small straight thru glass pack muffler. Now the Magnaflow purrs like a kitten. The loud interior resonance is gone. Love my Magnaflow.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
For the record, I still can't believe you scored a SS Gibson, plus install, for only $225.

Also, I don't have an after-market exhaust yet, but when I get one, it'll be the Gibson. That's what Eric has, and I can't hear a difference between his truck and mine. I'd prefer a quiet exhaust.

·
on line
4 Posts
I just had a 28� overall, 5X8 oval magnaflow (2(2.5� in -1(3�) out) muffler installed, eliminating the y pipe and now I want to sell my car. It reminds me of high school when I drove a 1988 cavalier with no muffler. It sounds like trash and the drone makes me want to puke. I have a 12� flowmaster hushpower II coming in on Friday which I intend on installing after the muffler, hoping it will salvage what I did until I feel like revisiting this mess. My goal was for less restriction and a mild tone, which was the reason I went with the 28� unit, now my lawn mower sounds better than my rig. The magnaflow is nothing more than a glorified glasspack—but hey it’s stainless so it will last a life time. :banghead: To top it all off-- the jackasses as the shop who installed my "custom cat-back" spliced the 2.5 SS with the stock pipe about a foot AFTER the cat which defeats the reason i chose SS. good times- i hope it's better on friday.

·
on line
29 Posts
Hey - I know the feeling. The Magnaflow drone is deafening. Adding a small round 12" straight thru glass pack where the resonator was solved my problem. Hope friday is a better day for you.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Vinceguy27 said:
I just had a 28� overall, 5X8 oval magnaflow (2(2.5� in -1(3�) out) muffler installed, eliminating the y pipe and now I want to sell my car. It reminds me of high school when I drove a 1988 cavalier with no muffler. It sounds like trash and the drone makes me want to puke. I have a 12� flowmaster hushpower II coming in on Friday which I intend on installing after the muffler, hoping it will salvage what I did until I feel like revisiting this mess. My goal was for less restriction and a mild tone, which was the reason I went with the 28� unit, now my lawn mower sounds better than my rig. The magnaflow is nothing more than a glorified glasspack—but hey it’s stainless so it will last a life time. :banghead: To top it all off-- the jackasses as the shop who installed my "custom cat-back" spliced the 2.5 SS with the stock pipe about a foot AFTER the cat which defeats the reason i chose SS. good times- i hope it's better on friday.
Well if you want to go back to stock and you threw away your muffler... I still have my factory one. i cut it off from about one inch infront of the muffler. All the rest is still in perfect condition.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts