Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For people who installed the Magnaflow catback exhaust # 15583, did you have to cut the tailpipe after the muffler and weld it again like user Mags did, as it was too long ? Trying to figure if the design is wrong, or that was a single unit ( I doubt that ) ?

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I saw couple of guys on YouTube who had the system, but couldn't tell if they're members on this forum to ask them the question. So obviously my question is to members who installed the 15583 Magnaflow, if they had to cut the bend after the muffler to make it shorter and weld again ?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I don't know if there is anyone with that muffler, do a search using the search function may answer your question. The magnaflow muffler that is mostly used is the 12580, and for that one there is no need to shorten the tail pipe.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if there is anyone with that muffler, do a search using the search function may answer your question. The magnaflow muffler that is mostly used is the 12580, and for that one there is no need to shorten the tail pipe.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I did the search before posting, and the only user that showed with that, is " Mags" which had to cut, and I mentioned his name in my first question. 12580 is the muffler like you mention, but 15583 is the full catback exhaust including the muffler, and I was hoping the owners I saw on Ytube will be on this forum, or hopefully somebody here did the 15583 also.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I have a magnaflow, I cant remember what the part number is but it is a new in and one out. The shop I took it too welded complete new 2.5" pipe from the cats back for less then $175.00.

Dont know if that help with your question.

Here is a link to my install, it is on page one

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58962

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a magnaflow, I cant remember what the part number is but it is a new in and one out. The shop I took it too welded complete new 2.5" pipe from the cats back for less then $175.00.

Dont know if that help with your question.

Here is a link to my install, it is on page one

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58962
Thanks, but your Magnaflow is the muffler with 2 in 1 , like most people on this forum, i'm looking for the complete kit catback from Magnaflow ( which uses their own Y after the cats ). By the way, very nice X.

·
on line
971 Posts
zeiter, if you're just going to use the Pathy V8 muffler as you state in another thread, then why would it matter? You would still need to weld that on to your existing stock tail section. I don't think anyone on here has the 15583, at least from what I've seen (or haven't seen). Most people have opted to go custom using the 12580 muffler and just getting new pipes ran from the catback to the muffler because it's just more cost effective.

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
zeiter, if you're just going to use the Pathy V8 muffler as you state in another thread, then why would it matter? You would still need to weld that on to your existing stock tail section. I don't think anyone on here has the 15583, at least from what I've seen (or haven't seen). Most people have opted to go custom using the 12580 muffler and just getting new pipes ran from the catback to the muffler because it's just more cost effective.
I'm not using anymore the Pathy V8 muffler. I went to the muffler shop, ( a very good one who works on WRX and EVO, mandrel machine, stainless tubing, etc... ), showed him the part picture from the Nissan parts web, and compared to the stock X muffler, and the guy completely discouraged me. He said that just replacing my Y pipe and muffler with the Pathy muffler is not going to do anything at all, just a waste of money. He said you want more air flow, you need a free exhaust, and you'll get more sound no matter which brand. No improvement without sound, period. That it why I came to the Magnaflow catback. But in the end, and given the price like you say, I think I'll end up with a 12580 or similar muffler and custom pipes.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Ya man, buying a muffler kit for the X is a waste of cash. They cost way to much money. Buy the two in one out and have your shop make pipes. As I said before, my shop charged me about $175 for install and custom stainless steel pipes. All in all everything was about $275 and sounds good.

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Now here's something of a surprise for me. After work, I went to the muffler shop and showed him my truck ( before, we were talking images ), and pointed to the Y pipe, and how it's pressed on the passenger side to make it even smaller, and guess what : to my surprise, the guy said it was normal, and the crease was done on purpose by Nissan, because that pipe is shorter than the other one, to reduce flow, and match the other one, and bla bla bla... And if he was to make me custom pipes, he will do the passenger side 1/4" less diameter than the driver side for same purpose. Now I would tend to think that guy is smoking something, but seeing his customers and all those fancy tuners, the guy seems to know his stuff,( I hope at least ) , although I never heard of such a thing. Anybody knows anything about this short and long pipe story ?
Edit: This morning I ran into my neighbor ( a Jeep mechanic, not muffler but engine, all kind of mechanic at Chrysler ). I asked him about that matter, different diameter pipes, etc... and he said he never heard such BS all his life and all years spent at Chrysler. Go figure now. Maybe somebody who's technical can input something to clarify this please. Thanks

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
I have never heard of different diameters but the newer jeep wranglers have a loop in the exhaust system on the driver side to make it the same length as the pass side. Kind of funky but cool at the same time.

Nick
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
76 Posts
IMO it's not BS. Exhaust science, for best performance, is all about balanced flow into and out of the engine. Now would 1/4 difference in the two pipes make a difference on your truck in day to day driving? Probably not. However if you run your truck at higher RPMS a lot, or drag race it, you might notice the difference. I would think it would be cheaper to run both pipes the same and less hassle for the shop, so why would they even mention it if they weren't basing their statement on facts and experience? :dontknow:

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have never heard of different diameters but the newer jeep wranglers have a loop in the exhaust system on the driver side to make it the same length as the pass side. Kind of funky but cool at the same time.

Nick
Posted via Mobile Device
I looked and found that also for the Jeep, which means that mechanic was kind of right that Nissan "squeezed" the short side of the Y pipe on purpose to create some equalization, and he would have to do 1/4" less diameter for the short side to recreate the effect. Then I look at Magnaflow, and find they have one kit for the Wrangler to delete the loop, and make it straight. Go figure. Why would Chrysler go through the trouble of creating a loop if straight would have been OK ( much simpler and cheaper for them ). I know we're talking Jeep here, but what interests me is the idea or principle behind it.

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IMO it's not BS. Exhaust science, for best performance, is all about balanced flow into and out of the engine. Now would 1/4 difference in the two pipes make a difference on your truck in day to day driving? Probably not. However if you run your truck at higher RPMS a lot, or drag race it, you might notice the difference. I would think it would be cheaper to run both pipes the same and less hassle for the shop, so why would they even mention it if they weren't basing their statement on facts and experience? :dontknow:
You got a point here, and after getting another answer that the Wrangler has a loop to compensate, it's beginning to make more sense to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts