Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems from the little that I've been on this forum that the Magnaflow 12580 is a beloved and well used exhaust. Advance Auto Parts offers great prices which could also lead to purchase.

I have a 2005 OR 2wd 6 speed that I bought a couple weeks ago that was just bout showroom stock. I hacked off part of the inside of the intake box and thru a K&N air filter (33-2286) to take care of the intake side.

I bought a Flowmaster 50 Series SUV (Super 50) #524553 (dual 2.25 in/3.00 out) and had my muffler shop install it, while removing the nasty Y-thing and going dual in, single out using stock piping after the exhaust. Sounds good, but it's a bit loud for my liking and with a baby on the way... probably not the best idea.

More in next post...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So... I bought the Magnaflow 12580 and Flowmaster 524703 since they are almost identical in specifications. Sound, feel, and drone are all subjective so I won't comment on that yet (mainly since I dont have them installed yet).

But here are some objective facts about both these mufflers.

Flowmaster 524703 Magnaflow 12580
Body Length 22 in 22 in
Body Width 10 in 11 in
Body Height 5 in 5 in
Inlet size dual 2.25 in dual 2.25 in
Outlet size 3 in 2.5 in
Overall Length 28 in 28 in
Weight 19 lbs 19 lbs
(on bathroom scale)

Price 116.90 88.75
Price is from Advance Auto Parts with $40 discount, free shipping and texas tax

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How the outside of the boxes look.... advantage Flowmaster

Top view....

And both end views.

You can just bout see all the way thru the Magnaflow as it's a straight-thru design.
Both seem to be built alright. IMO, the Magnaflow looks "prettier" but the Flowmaster is built better. I can put my 185 lb. weight on them and the Magnaflow will flex a bit but the Flowmaster is solid. You can jump on that exhaust and nothing is going to happen.... the Magnaflow, not so much.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sound is very relative and everybody has different tastes, styles and preferences. I have a 50 Series Delta Flow on my Nissan Hardbody pickup and it's very mild (might have something to do with it being a 2.4l 4 banger).

I've been on youtube for many video clips but it's hard to determine what is best for your particular setup. Figure I'd share my thoughts on this as well.

It also seems that there isn't much interest in the Flowmaster 70 series. I'm somewhat partial and biased towards Flowmaster since I grew up in Santa Rosa (where they make these things) and have had good success with my other Nissan.

Anybody else run the 70 Series Flowmaster?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
So I'm a little confused, are you going to install both on 2 separate vehicles? And do you think you could upload a video/sound clip of your X with the Flowmaster installed?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to have both of them installed on my Xterra and then decide which one of them I like best and going to keep. I'll make a video of both of them and try and get them uploaded somewheres.

I can shoot a video of the 50 Series SUV one too, but that one is going off and gonna try and get rid of it soon. you're just up the road too...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Posted this on the other 12580 thread but i think that one is pretty much dead at this point so i thought i would try again :)

Anyone here have to deal with CA smog when doing exhaust mods? I'm wondering if you can pass visual if you ditch the Y pipe and run a 2 into 1 muffler? CA is pretty retarded when it comes to exhaust configurations. It's not just cats that they look for. The days of changing exhaust every two years and swapping it back are behind me. Too much effort.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The y pipe doesn't do anything emission wise

Visual just means if you have all equipment, 4 cats and a muffler. And no holes in the exaust
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
It would be awesome if you are right. You have to remember though the key word to my question "CA" smog. Just because your point makes sense doesn't mean it's OK in CA. For example, usually you don't have a problem with this but i know people who have dealt with cops/ CARB referees/ smog techs that are having a bad day or just D bags who have nailed people for changing mufflers even though it's has no relevance to emissions just because the law bans "modification to exhaust". I have never dealt with removing an equalizer pipe or Y pipe, at least not on anything new enough to need smog.
End stupid California smog laws rant......

·
Registered
867 Posts
Flowmasters don't belong on V6's... In the upper range, they sound like crap. My Magnaflow sounds great from idle all the way to redline...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Flowmasters don't belong on V6's... In the upper range, they sound like crap. My Magnaflow sounds great from idle all the way to redline...
That's one of those old school rule of thumb kind of things.
Flowmaster on American big displacement
Magnaflow on import 6's
Long walk off of a short peir if you feel the need to put exhaust on a 4 banger

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
It would be awesome if you are right. You have to remember though the key word to my question "CA" smog. Just because your point makes sense doesn't mean it's OK in CA. For example, usually you don't have a problem with this but i know people who have dealt with cops/ CARB referees/ smog techs that are having a bad day or just D bags who have nailed people for changing mufflers even though it's has no relevance to emissions just because the law bans "modification to exhaust". I have never dealt with removing an equalizer pipe or Y pipe, at least not on anything new enough to need smog.
End stupid California smog laws rant......
Canada has almost the same rules as CA

Same bull**** .

·
Registered
867 Posts
That's one of those old school rule of thumb kind of things.
Flowmaster on American big displacement
Magnaflow on import 6's
Long walk off of a short peir if you feel the need to put exhaust on a 4 banger
Though I have to say, my Hemi sounded VERY exotic with Magnaflows... I still don't know if anything beats my stock Porsche exhaust (IMO.) Beautiful sounds!

·
on line
504 Posts
One thing that I'll toss in, is that I find my 12580 Magnaflow muffler will actually change in sound based on the tune I have installed. Now this must translate somehow into the timing, but am unsure.

I find when I have the SuperChip 87 tune installed, I have a little deeper tone, compared to the 91 tune. The 93 tune with 2* is similar to the 91 tune.

It also has a different sound until it heats up. Once warmed up idling it sounds like it has larger cams because of the DT LT.

I know this may sound crazy to some of you, but I will swear by it!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
One thing that I'll toss in, is that I find my 12580 Magnaflow muffler will actually change in sound based on the tune I have installed. Now this must translate somehow into the timing, but am unsure.

I find when I have the SuperChip 87 tune installed, I have a little deeper tone, compared to the 91 tune. The 93 tune with 2* is similar to the 91 tune.

It also has a different sound until it heats up. Once warmed up idling it sounds like it has larger cams because of the DT LT.

I know this may sound crazy to some of you, but I will swear by it!
It sounded nice when I heard you pull out...giddy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts