Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently got a set of 255/85/16 BFG MTs put on the Xterra. I had heard MC complain about BFGs problems with balancing, so I bought some Equal Tire Balancer from Expedition Exchange.

It's a dry granule that automatically balances a rolling tire. The Equal granules are placed inside the tire and are free to move about the tire, constantly changing in location to accommodate various road conditions. You elliminate the need for weights on the rims and, get this, it automatically balances your tires even after you've got mud caked all over them.

The tire guys at 4Wheel Parts were amazed at how well it worked. They were like, "ok dude, we'll put this stuff in but it's all on you if something goes wrong". After they installed and checked for balance, they immediately called their manager to tell him about the product.

It only cost me about $9 per tire, plus s/h.

Throw all these away:

and get 4 bags of Equal, along with the included AirX Filtered Valve Core:

You need the specially designed valve core because it contains a mesh screen that prevents any potential clogging upon tire deflation.:

________
EXTREME Q VAPORIZER

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have been wanthing to try that stuff but couldn't find reference to anyone using them in 33" tires. I might give that stuff a try as I mangled a weight on the inside of my front right tire and it's causing a slight vibration. I was going to get it rebalanced at my next alignment, but maybe I'll go this route instead.

Even on the smaller tires, did you use the entire pouch of beads?

·
on line
1,407 Posts
How smooth did they turn out? I have my big BFG's dialed pretty well, but I still have a 70mph shake. If they didn't work wouldn't you have to pull the bead and clean out the tire?

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Muzikman said:
255/85/16 are 33" tires, but yes I used one 4oz packet for each tire. I had them drop the whole thing in without tearing it open. It's what the instruactions say... who knows. There's a graph on the website I posted for what size packets you are supposed to use for various tire sizes.

B Slater said:
How smooth did they turn out? I have my big BFG's dialed pretty well, but I still have a 70mph shake. If they didn't work wouldn't you have to pull the bead and clean out the tire?
The tires are unbalanced for the first 1-3 rotations then all of a sudden go perfect. But you'd never even feel this in your truck, since the Equal is only 4oz and it perfectly distributes itself in a second.

"Equal has two effects in reducing force variation in the rotating tire/wheel assembly. First, it acts as a vibration damper, absorbing the unsteady vibration at all points on the tire circumference. Equal also acts as a force reducer in the footprint area, applying a force downward on the tire as it moves through the footprint."

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/equal/FAQ.htm
________
AsiansXX

·
on line
1,407 Posts
I am wondering how that stuff affects our TPMS sensors. I am seriously contemplating getting it, of course I will have to break the beads on my tires to install it. That always sucks!

·
on line
2,938 Posts
I know dagger on UNYX runs this stuff in his 33's and has put it in tires as small as 31's and it has worked great.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I ran the stuff before and it does work great. When I had my problems I was hell bent of proving to BFG that the tires were out of spec. Very expensive and BFG did nothing for me anyways. I should have went with the Equal but no one around here had the equal and the special valve and I didn't know how much to use as I recall it was different amounts for different tires. The cool parts is, the tire is always in balance at any speed and no matter how may stones are in the tread and mud on the wheel.

Certainly the best way out for us! And they way I will go in the future as you can't trust the calibration of the balancing machines anyways.
Nice write up. Slap that over to How To Balance your tires!

MC

·
on line
2,070 Posts
I ran the STS on my old X. The tire shop tried everything to
get them to balance. Weights & the sand, but in the end they
ordered 4 more tires to replace them. They didn't have
trouble balancing the new ones. May have had a bad batch
of tires is what i was told.

________
Medical marijuana card

·
on line
807 Posts
Equal does work well, But I dont understand how the guys at the shop checked them for balance. Did they just drive it, or put them on a balancer? Because active balancers (equal) will not show up as being balanced on a computer balancer because they use 2 different systems for balancing.

The only downside to Equal is that is takes a second or two for the granuals to adjust when you change speeds.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
When I owned a Big KW Truck, We also used 3 golf balls. Same principle but cheaper. But the tire place did not want to warranty that so I ended up with the rings with some type powder in them and I wish they had that for our X. It went on 1st then the wheel. But I can see trail damage to em.

Someone mention equal and still a problem, we if that is the case, my 2 BFG's won't respond to equal either. MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Syndicate said:
Muzikman said:
255/85/16 are 33" tires, but yes I used one 4oz packet for each tire. I had them drop the whole thing in without tearing it open. It's what the instruactions say... who knows. There's a graph on the website I posted for what size packets you are supposed to use for various tire sizes.
Ok, when i said smaller I was talking about 33's. Until you posted that link, all the Equal I saw had been for 35's and up. I just assumed that they didn't make a pack for smaller than 35's which is why I was asking. $9 a tire is pretty cheap.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
I am tempted to try it. We have a local distributor around here. He actually deals mainly with Semi's.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I just found out that the employee I had spoken with at 4Wheel Parts, was mistaken. Apparantly, one of the tire guys is a new hire and hadn't heard about the stuff yet, so he made up a story to me about what the manager said.

Turns out they do sell Equal there and he was just a goof.

As far as Stevet47's question; I don't know what they used to check for balance at the end. I was assuming their tire balancer.
________
Hurt From Nexium

·
on line
1,407 Posts
I think Discount Tire around here does a road force balance which actually applies a force to the tire. I think they would be able to find out if the Equal works or not. I am just a chicken and don't want to rip off all my 15 pounds of balancing weights just for the Equal not to work!

·
on line
1,407 Posts
I almost bought a kit from innovative balancing before. I think I will try it when I get my new rims. That way if it doesn't work I don't have to go back to the tire shop and explain why I took off all the weights!

·
on line
240 Posts
Also another note: We cannot install the beads through the valve stem! Since we have tire pressure sensors that are part of the valve stem, you have to install the beads by breaking down the tire.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
JasonK06X said:
Also another note: We cannot install the beads through the valve stem! Since we have tire pressure sensors that are part of the valve stem, you have to install the beads by breaking down the tire.
Good point, I didn't think about that. If that holds true we shouldn't need the filtered valve stems at all.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts