Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I have a 2012 Xterra (with a C200K), and I'm looking to swap the rear differential. I found an a m226 rear from a 06 offroad. Do you know if there are any compatibility issues with the earlier 2nd Gen Xterra rear ends to the later model 2nd Gen Xterras? Anything i should be considering aside from age of the rear end? and of course gearing (planning to swap to 4:10)?

·
TNX Veteran
3,819 Posts
None of the M226 axles will line up witih your front diff, so you will have to regear as you said.
I think it is the C200 driveshaft that is a little bit longer than the driveshaft used with the M226, however there may still be enough slack that it is not a problem. That is worth researching on here.

Otherwise, early vs. old is the same. There should be no other issues. I would check for leaking axle seals on the donor so you can replace if needed while it is all apart.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did exactly this 2 days ago and replaced my blown c200k in a '14 with a locked m226 from an '07. Everything bolted up just fine. Driveshaft and axle were both 6bolt flange. I read that the c200k driveshaft is a bit longer but I'm at stock height and haven't had any issues. Brake components all swap over if you need them but make sure you get the abs lines from the m226. Also, the factory locker harness is no longer available so make sure you grab that as well or at least the male and female end of the plugs so you can wire it up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts