Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've recently realized that my rear axle has been leaking after having my parking brake not really want to hold for a good while now and then reading about the rear axle seal TSB on here.

in doing some searching, i've read that the TSB calls for a complete revised axle shaft pre-loaded with seal, bearings, spacer and circlip which runs about 650 bucks for just the parts.

It looks like, from looking at the local nissan dealer's online parts lookup, that the part number for the bearing and seal was changed in 2012 or 2013. The part that shows for my 2010 is:

seal - 43252 - 7S200
Bearing - 40210 - 7S210

for the 2013-2014 it is:

seal - 43252 - 0W000
Bearing - 43210 - EA200

The bearing and seal listed for the later pro4-x models is the same part number that is listed for the c200k axle in the earlier years. is this a mistake in the catalog or did nissan change the design of the later M226 axles to use the same bearings and seals as the c200k?

Anyone that has access to a dealer parts counter that might be able to clear this up? I'd like to be able to use whichever revised parts are needed to keep the seal from leaking again, but i'm not really interested in paying 650 a side for a whole new stub axle assembly, especially if it's not really needed.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I used NAPA stuff. Timken is OEM and that is what most of the aftermarket stuff is. I'm not sure about the part number changes as they seem to pull that crap all the time and have one supersede the other but it's the same exact part.

As Jonathan said Brian would definitely know the answer to this, give him a call.
Call us at 888-695-7052

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are they telling you that you have to upgrade the axle in order for it not to leak?
lol, no i didn't even ask what it would cost to have them do it, i tried to find out about this mysterious replacement loaded axle from the parts guy but he had no clue what i was talking about. i got one of the service writers to give me a printout of the TSB and took the part numbers to the parts guy. he just said it shows an axle, but doesn't say if it has bearings and seals already on it or not.

according to the parts diagram, its the same 38162-EB10D (RH) part number that comes back to the bare axle with ABS ring (38162M in the diagram).

lets see if this works

·
on line
1,416 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep I had that done to mine while still under warranty! I think my axle seals are leaking again now though... or I stretched the cable..
thats what i assumed had happened to mine, since the older D21 and WD21 chassis had a habit of stretching them. basically the only way to get nissan to fix it is to complain about it when its under warranty and even then its going to seep again. some people have reported having to replace the seals every 30k. there is definitely some kind of design flaw. If nissan won't do anything about it maybe we should all start submitting NHTSA complaints. If enough people submit maybe we can force nissan to do a recall/reimbursement for people that have had to pay the 800-1000 bucks to replace their axle seals and bearings.

·
on line
29 Posts
Is this an issue in 2011? My e-brake doesn't hold all that awesome one hills, but i figure its just because of the weight it would have to hold. I looked on nissanhelp.com and couldn't find anything.
My 2012 ebrake sucks. I wondt trust it at all.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Just went in to the show for dealing with a crappy parking brake that is pretty much at the end of its adjustment limit. They told me that the parking brake shoes were contaminated with differential fluid that had gotten past the seals. So apparently now to have a working e-brake again, I need to get the TSB done and have both drive shafts replaced :angry5:

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you can't lock up the rear wheels with the e brake, you probably have bad seals. I used to be able to lock em up on dry pavement, now it just slows to a stop. I did drive with the parking brake engaged accidentally for about a mile or two and it seemed to burn some of it off and worked better, but that didn't last long.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts