Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a m205 ready to be installed, but still need to figure out a way to get my rear to match. The cheapest I have been able to find a m226 at 3.36 is $1300 or $1200 with my core, mind you it only has 3500 miles on it. Or... Get some used 3.36 gears with 20,000 miles on them for $200, but I would still need to get them installed. Is the M226 worth $1300?

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Personally yes, I think it's worth that much pretty easily. It's low mileage. What year is it though? If it's 2007 or newer and is the newer rendition of the M226 then definitely, I feel like it's worth it. If it is older, I'd probably try and get it for less.

What 3:36 gears are fitting in the C200?

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
^Maybe not as worth it. You'll have to flip the spring perches. Not a big deal at all, just needs to be done right. Something to consider. The frontiers are spring over axle where as we are spring under. ....Or you could do a HUGE lift and go spring over axle.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
If you opt to go the route of buying those gears, just make sure you find a reputable shop near you (unless you are doing the install yourself) and get a quote from them. Everyone has their own price, but a gear install won't be overly cheap. You'd still pay less than buying that M226 so it saves you money, but that all comes down to personal preference over what axle you want, what you want it to do etc.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I did do spring/leaf over how much of a lift are we talking, and what other problems would these cause doing this, longer brake lines?

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
With a spring over axle you're talking about 6+ inches. Reference Oz, Ridge Runner X, and some other members on here that have done it if you'd like to see some pics of how tall it sits. The biggest problem you would have would be the driveshaft, it can't handle that much angle very well. A custom driveshaft would be best. Brake lines would also be needed. The $$$$$ money problem would be the front. You would somewhere in the dropbracket/titan swap realm to match that lift up front.

As far as flipping the perches to the stock, spring under format, it's not a bolt on thing. You would need to have someone grind off the current leaf spring perches and weld new ones on the underside. Relatively simply, don't just have a back yard shop do it though. It needs to be someone that can actually measure accurately and get them on straight etc.

So no, as it sits right now it would not be bolt in.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Titan Swap is in the works, that is why I got the M205 and why I would like to get a M226. Although Not sure if I want this M226 if I need to get a longer driveshaft to make it work, and I alread pushed my luck with spending $400 on the M205. 6" is alot of lift and I still want my X to fit in the garage, only have about 7-8in of room right now.

If I was to stay with SOA is everything bolt on?

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
You would be way better off paying a decent fab shop to just flip the spring perches for you. You will spend A LOT of money going SOA. Just doing the SOA isn't that bad, but as with any mod like this, it's like opening a can of worms. Some of the first things you will have to attend to will be the driveshaft, rear shocks, brake lines etc. From there, you have to match the front. You're talking about quite a few thousand dollars up there and some decent know how.
Also look up Mastagrog, he took a lot of pictures as he went through his so it might help you.
I don't know the exact height that you will move up doing a SOA, but I'm fairly confident that it's over 6" even using the stock leaf springs. If that's the case, to really do this right, it's not just a titan swap up front, you need to be looking at drop bracket kits to combine with that.
You're talking about serious cash going this route.

As far as actually flipping the spring perches though, just do your research, a decent should should do it cheap and easy. Out the door.
Just make sure you do your research on that axle. I don't know of any differences between the fronty and the X in that area, but there very well might be. Check the pinion flange etc and make sure you are good to go.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
^haha ya, that's what I was getting at. I guess sarcasm really doesnt transfer well on the interwebs with out a smiley face or an "lol omg jk", but my comment that first mentioned the spring over axle was purely a joke.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HAHA, well thanks alot for the advice. Checked out OZ's rig, pretty sweet, but I like to park in my garage. Now, back to searching or getting with Truffles next week get get the gears.

·
on line
4,434 Posts
Depending on the freight cost to ship it to you, sounds like a good deal. Having the E-locker is worth it!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I now have both front and rear diffs to start my Titan Swap. Picked up this 2011 Pro-4x M226 w/ elocker for $1250 with 23k miles. Time to get all my parts together and figure out the wiring for the elocker

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I just swapped a frontier off road axle in to mine and all ready broke some spider gears so I got an ARB on the way. I have the wiring harness you need to wire up your e-locker, and because of Killswitch, know how to wire it up. Treff and I both have swapped m226's in our X this year (his is flipping awesome though cause of the gears). Let me know if you need the harness.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Here are some pics of the wiring harness (it's all ready made 100% and just needs a OTRATTW switch or any other 5-Prong switch with 2 independent lights (so you can use one to show you are feeding it power and the other light to show that you are in fact locked).

Also, don't worry about your spider gears/carrier(but I would still open it up and inspect them); I bought mine knowing that they were pitting and could break, yours is much newer and the better 4 pinion version. However just as a heads up you cannot buy parts for it, you have to buy the whole assembly ($900+ where my ARB ran me $920 but you also have to factor in the compressor). Either way ARB is the way to go as they have every part for sale for each locker, that way if you were to ever break one, you can just replace the parts rather than the whole unit!! But the m226 was definitely the way to go, now you have many more options when it comes to gearing. Treff's very pleased with his m226/m205 w/ 4.56's rolling on 35's!! Hope this helps!

Factory Harness:

Extended and Wired:
Wired my e-locker, now on to the blue sea fuse box...

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
Like what chris said above arb is the way to go and when i have the cash after the front arb is done i will be swapping out the e locker with one. I love the e locker in a sense i can literally just flip a switch and its on, but the overall design of it could be better and matenence or repair is almost impossible. Arb ftw in the long run man if you got the doe spend it on that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts