Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a Titan rear diff tomorrow and I cant find a concrete thread on here that tells me what would work for me. I've never been active with my upgrades or this forum until right now. If somebody can point me in the direction of an existing thread (cause I'm sure there is one, I must just be dumb) or maybe tell me the difference between a m226 and a m266 I would be greatly appreciative.

·
on line
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would you recomend swapping the rear stock diff for a Titan stock diff. Everything I read is all about the front and that's farther down the line.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Would you recomend swapping the rear stock diff for a Titan stock diff. Everything I read is all about the front and that's farther down the line.
You'd be 6" wider and since the Titan is SOA, you'd be 6-7" higher in the back of the X unless you cut and re-welded the spring perched to be SUA.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hahaha sorry I don't think I clarified enough. I'm SUPER new to this, soa sua? I am a welder by trade so a little hack and tacks not an issue. This forums a little overwhelming. But I want to make my rig a beast. Any starter threads you recommend?

·
Registered
308 Posts
SOA=Spring over axle
SUA=Spring under axle

Id start in the suspension threads and try to absorb as much of that info as you can. What model is your X? It is possible you already have a m226 under the back end.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Don't bother with a Titan rear unless you're going to put all the Titan suspension stuff on the front too and change wheels/brakes since the Titan is not the same bolt pattern.

If you want plug and play (sort of) then you need to find an M226 out of an Xterra.

Determine what you'd like your rig to do before you start buying parts.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Don't bother with a Titan rear unless you're going to put all the Titan suspension stuff on the front too and change wheels/brakes since the Titan is not the same bolt pattern. If you want plug and play (sort of) then you need to find an M226 out of an Xterra. Determine what you'd like your rig to do before you start buying parts.
I completely agree, more work than its worth..

·
on line
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been trying to update my "profile" with my x info but I'm having issues with that as well. Thanks for your time guys. Seriously good help.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
M226 = Ring Gear size = 226mm / 25.4mm per inch = 8.9" Ring Gear.

M266 would be approximately a 10.5" ring gear (which would be close to a 14-bolt GM differential). This is most likely a typo.

I have heard that there is a Dana 60 available for the Titan (rear diff only). Dana 60s typically have a 9.75" ring gear. This would be significantly larger than the modified Dana 44 that is currently under the Offroad X (the non-Offroad models have the C200 - which is approx 7.9" ring gear).

·
on line
10,980 Posts
I have heard that there is a Dana 60 available for the Titan (rear diff only).
I don't believe there was ever a D60 offered in stock form, are you thinking of the Currie unit? If so, I would assume that anyone reselling one, would advertise it as such (as being from Currie) and price it accordingly ... unless they didn't know what they had.

french222, given that you're an 'SE' you likely have a c200k rear axle with 3.13:1 gears (if you look at the sticker in your door jamb, there will be an axle code listed ... this will tell you what the factory axle & ratio were, as the vehicle was built) ... unless you have a manual trans, then you already have an m226.

I'll agree with the others, if you saw an m266 axle advertised as having come out of a Titan, it was likely a typo.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
How much are those Titan axles? I have some 2013 Pro4X m226 axles listed in the for sale section. They have less then 100 miles on them.

$1750 w/$100 flat rate shipping anywhere in the US

·
on line
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How much are those Titan axles? I have some 2013 Pro4X m226 axles listed in the for sale section. They have less then 100 miles on them.

$1750 w/$100 flat rate shipping anywhere in the US
I wish that was an option but unless you live in Hawaii too I don't think it's gunna happen. Thanks though, I would be all over that. Plus after reading through the forums I think I'm gunna switch my focus to maintenance and preventing moog. Thanks again for your time.

·
on line
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wish that was an option but unless you live in Hawaii too I don't think it's gunna happen. Thanks though, I would be all over that. Plus after reading through the forums I think I'm gunna switch my focus to maintenance and preventing moog. Thanks again for your time.
*smod not moog

1 - 17 of 17 Posts