Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First of all, I installed a Pro4x rear locking diff into my S not too long ago. So we had a few snowstorms over the past week, so I have had the fuse in that is wired to the switch for the e-locker so I could use it at any time. Well, I forgot to take it out and when I went to hit my light switch, I accidently hit the locker switch going about 30mph on a paved road. I heard and felt nothing, but I am wondering if anything should be checked or anything I could've done? I shut off the switch maybe two seconds after it turned on.Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay i didnt feel a single thing, so I think I lucked out. Thanks for the quick responses guys! And I originally tried to tap the 4wd switch for power, but it didnt work, so now i have an add a circuit. And I have an otrattw locker switch. I'm wondering if I could make a safety cover kind of thing to put over the switch.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
You could tap into one of the three sensors in the tcase. There is one that has power when it's in 4hi and 4lo. You could add a relay to that to give power to your locker switch only when in 4wd. Then maybe add an override somewhere if you wanted 2wd locked.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
2,362 Posts
As long as you were not doing a burnout with one tire when you hit it, it is fine. In short, the parts that lock to each other were not spinning relative to each other when you hit the locker, so no problem.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! Just needed some peace of mind in my $1400 investment.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I used a secondary switch on the power for my locker. It is tucked up under the dash as I was afraid of my niece, nephew, GF, dog, me, whoever possibly hitting the switch by mistake. This way when I'm wheeling I just reach under the dash, flip the switch and the otrattw switch is powered to engage the locker.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used a secondary switch on the power for my locker. It is tucked up under the dash as I was afraid of my niece, nephew, GF, dog, me, whoever possibly hitting the switch by mistake. This way when I'm wheeling I just reach under the dash, flip the switch and the otrattw switch is powered to engage the locker.
Hm good idea. So since I have a relay set up after the switch that pulls power from the battery once I flip the switch. Would I install that switch between the battery and the relay, or between the switch and the add a circuit?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Your relay has two sides; one that's connecting the main power draw to the locker circuit ('high' draw side), and another that's looking at the locker switch to figure out when it should apply that power to the locker circuit (low draw side).

You'd want to put the secondary switch in line on the low draw side, so that unless the secondary switch is engaged, the main switch will not be able to energize the relay coil and complete the circuit on the 'high' draw side.

Clear as mud?

ETA: Here's one way to do what I'm describing ... certainly not the only way, though ... and if there's a really good reason not to do it this way, I'm sure someone will pipe up (I hope). This way seems okay to me, at first blush.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I am dumber than the wire used, and what you are saying is to put the second "safety switch" between the main switch and the relay. Clear as mud!

·
on line
10,980 Posts
I think I was making and uploading the above diagram while you were posting ... I think you're describing putting the 'safety' switch on the 'green' line in that diagram. While that's also one way to do it, I had been thinking about (and trying to describe) what I posted in the diagram.

I think both should work; but I'm not sure you want the downstream switch to be the safety ... in that case, if the safety is 'off', you're still energizing the primary switch no matter what. Yes, you're preventing operation with the safety, but you're putting 12V to more components, and perhaps unnecessarily. Just seems like more opportunity for something to fail and/or short, but probably only a real concern for long-term/high-cycle applications.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
As long as both switches are before the relay, on the low draw side, it doesn't matter. With either in the "on" position the other gets power. With only one "on" the relay does not trigger. And one of the two switches will have power either way.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
True ... I guess I was presuming the 'safety' switch was less likely to see many cycles; presuming it would be hidden and only tripped with more intention than the locker switch. Or put a different way, I guess I was presuming the 'safety' switch would be only ever primarily 'off' ... and if it's purpose was to prevent inadvertent actuation/energizing, then it didn't seem like a great leap to assume one would want to extend the protection to as much of the circuit as possible.

As we've demonstrated, there are always many paths to a solution. :eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
186 Posts
You are fine man. Nissan makes the locker available in 4-low to keep your speed down due to the adverse effects it has on handling. It's to save you, not the elocker.:eek:ccasion5:
So your saying it's okay to be locked and go faster than the 10mph the owners manual says?

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, thanks. So I will put a safety switch in between the main switch and the fuse panel. Does this sound like a reasonable solution or is there a better path to travel?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
685 Posts
Yeah you're good. Sometimes the e-locker wants to be in a sweet-spot to disengage, so it can get stuck on. I've gotten off of some slippery obstacles right next to highways before with the locker engaged, turned it off, got up to 70mph to see the locker was still engaged a few times now. A little of of play with the throttle or the next upcoming slight turn immediately helps it disengage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts