Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I contacted Rocky Road Outfitters about making a rear diff guard for the m226like the one they make for the Titan.

http://www.rocky-road.com/titandiffguard.html

"We certainly could make a rock guard for the Xterra, would just need to get one into our shop. if you know anyone in the northern Utah area that has an Xterra willing to drop it for a couple days at our facility to do the prototyping from, they'd get the parts free and we could then offer up kits on the vehicle."

So does anyone live near Heber, UT 84032 and interested in getting a free cover for lending them your truck?

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Why do you feel the Titan one wouldn't work for our trucks? I was under the impression that the two axles were very similar, especially in the center section.

XterraPA (el presidente of GPAX fame) was going to possibly look into using the skid they sell on his truck ... perhaps he's done some investigating along these lines.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I could probably do it, but I do not think I have the correct diff.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
With my research and past knowledge along with currently working with Ballistic Fab on a M226 diff cover, they are the same. Same 12-bolt diff cover, same part number for the 32 spline Titan ARB Locker as the Xterra/Frontier (RD149). The difference is axle length to my knowledge, I think this would work just fine on an existing M226. However I'm not thrilled about drilling through the diff for mounting bolts...(blue circle)

I would be more interested in something like this that leaves no trace that it was ever there and is not connected to any bolts that could help cause seepage:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Heber is not far from me, just a bit east like 30-45 minutes.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Oh I know lol, so does the OP. Unless he has swapped diffs.

Which he did. Oh well..lol

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Wait ... is the OP asking about a loaner/development truck to get a Rocky-Road c200k skid made? Or an Xterra m226 cover?

Because as I read the post, he was asking about an Xterra m226 ... if he's looking for someone to help get a c200k skid made, then that needs to be clarified in the original post.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The op has the M226 swapped into his truck so is looking for a truck in utah that has that diff, I have a c200 so I cannot help but people have mentioned that they could probably use mine to make a c200 cover also.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The op has the M226 swapped into his truck so is looking for a truck in utah that has that diff, I have a c200 so I cannot help but people have mentioned that they could probably use mine to make a c200 cover also.
No harm in having them use your truck to design one for the c200. You can just email them directly per their request:
[email protected]

Keep us posted

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
This one used with a aftermarket diff cover would come out to be about the same price:
https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/titan-rear-differential-skid-plate-p-4217.html
I actually already have the style diff skid that uses 3 u-bolts to mount to the axle but it interferes with the gas tank skid.. I'll have to install it again and see if I can mod it to clear the gas skid.

Ya I was worried about drilling the two holes in the gusset of the axle. Also didn't think about the rear mount bolts and how that might cause seepage issues...

I'll keep you all posted on what I end up doing as one way or another I'll get/mod/make a skid to add in addition to my aftermarket diff cover because the bottom of the diff cover and two bolts down there no matter what company/design you have take a real beating.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Who's on first? This thread is silly. They already make one for the m226, thus the original post is, for lack of better description, pointless.
Posted via Mobile Device
I didn't know the M226 had the same bolt pattern as the Titan, but I still don't think this diff skid would fit the M226 as is.

The skid looks like it protrudes too far in around the 2nd from top mounting bolts that go through the diff cover.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
You've seen it posted here, now three times ... so I'll be a bit more forcefull ... the Titan m226 and the Xterra m226 are the same diff.

If you're worried about fitment, XterraPA has this skid, right now, waiting to go on his truck ... ask him to keep you abreast of his installation, or just follow his build thread, and go off of his experiences. I'll bet you a cold one, it fits just fine. I like pale ales ... and Black IPAs.

ETA: Apologies for the snappiness of the above post, usually I try and be a bit more tactful ... this particular time I was caught in the middle of fighting with the CAD system on my workstation, and my frustration came over here. The point stands though; I'll bet Stephen's new skid fits his diff just fine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts