Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!!!! Noticed today I had some play in the drovers side of my m205. No play in passengers

Wondering if any of you have rebuilt the m205 and know whats needed to fix this.

Flange, c clip, seal and bearing?

Heres a PIC of what I'm talking about. It has play in any direction

The flang your axles bolt to

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
on line
2,233 Posts
Probably just fine. Don't see it on the passenger side due to the length of the flange on that side.

It rally matters how much play. Just a little, normal clearances. clunk-clunk measure with a tape measure, not so good.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah this is no good. I remember checking when I installed and it was there but not as Bad. No fluid leaking. But I can make it clunk

I wonder what Nissan would charge me to open it up and check it out.. guess it don't matter , I'm worried about it. Gotta get it checked for peace of mind.

Anyone do this job?

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I assumed it may be bearing as well, is it just in with the new out with the old?

Is it easy to get to the bearing or does the whole diff have to be ripped apart? And if it does. Is it all just bolt on stuff in there? Or are somthings gonna have to be set a certain way when removed?

·
Registered
37 Posts
To check my theory for the drivers side, pull the axle and feel the bearing just inside the seal. I should be tight between the rollers you shouldn't be able to squeeze a dental pick or a finger nail between them.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'd recommend you drain the diff and pull the axle, check that bearing out as described above.

To pull the axle, first put something soft (couple squares of carpet will work) below the diff in case the axle falls when you pull it. Attach slide hammer to flange and gently bump it (doesn't take much) to pop it out. Easy-peasy. Installation is reverse of disassembly - slide it back in and gently nudge it into place with your BFH.

If the bearing is bad, you'll need to pull both axles, drop the diff, open it up, pull the carrier, pop the bearing off (you'll need a bearing puller like this one) and then pop the new one on. Be sure to properly mark the parts you pull out of the diff so they go back in EXACTLY as they came out (especially the bearing caps).

To get the new bearing on, a shop press is helpful. But, you can do it with a hammer and the right piece of pipe (like this one, or one of same diameter and wall-thickness).

Upon reinstalling the carrier, check your backlash and make sure it's within specs.

You're good to go.

It's really not nearly as complicated as it sounds. If you need the portion of the service manual that walks you through all this, shoot me your email in a PM and I'll send it to you as a PDF.

EDIT: Say, while you've got the thing dropped and dissected, why not take that opportunity to throw a LOCKER in there??? :iconbiggrin:

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
So did it end up being the bearing causing the play in the axle? My brand new m205 is doing the same thing. Had the 4.56's and arb locker installed and had stevo go through the diff but still had this happen. Haven't even driven more than 150 miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts