Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So who of us has one of the M205 ARB Lockers? Since there are only 51 in existence and one of those being the prototype and the other 50 are either sold or spoken for, there has to be quite a number of people from this site with them.

Xterra:
1. germandude890
2. MUDLOVER55
3. chrishaynesusa
4. Golf286
5. skibum315
6. Truffle's
7. GuerrillaXT
8. Arch'sX
9. ricerconvert
10. 08XOR
11. npgtech
12. CGSonoma
13. RDY2ROK
14. ath211
15. maXTERRA
16. H.I. McDunnough

Frontier:
1. kbwhipple
2. westracing01
3. malleusdei321
4. Lewers
5. jcbaert6.

Titan:

·
on line
10,980 Posts
One's sitting in my garage as I type this ...

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If anyone has any pictures with the install please post up. I will try to get as many as I can but its going to be about 2 months before I get all the parts together. Waiting on gears and install kits.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have some pictures of whats all included. This showed up at the door today!

How is everyone doing their air setup? I plan on using my 20lb co2 tank to run the locker.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
^ how? that would mean your bottle would have to be always flowing, also you would have to figure out a way to install the manifold to run the ARB relays off of. your better off buying a compressor and using that. I bought a ARB twin screw and also a VLAIR intake so I can have OBA. that will also supply air to the manifold for the lockers.

EDIT: how many lockers are you planning to run?

·
on line
10,980 Posts
^^^^ ... :D ... "Like"

Mud, you can use an air bottle to run lockers ... just the same as you can use a compressor. All the locker cares about is seeing ~90-100psi ... if it sees that, it'll lock; when that pressure goes away (forget the actual level, but the manual should say) it'll unlock.

You can use the whole switch/solenoid setup that ARB makes, and just put the air bottle in place of the compressor ... as long as the bottle is regulated to the right pressure. Usually for tires or tools, the fixed regulators are set a bit higher on bottles ... so be mindful of ARB's NTE pressure levels.

If you really want, you can use manual valves and run air line all over ... or source your own solenoids & switches & harness ... but it's kind-of hard to beat something that's more plug-n-play, and I think you can get 1 or 2 locker harness setups from ARB; without having to get a compressor.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
^^^^ ... :D ... "Like"

Mud, you can use an air bottle to run lockers ... just the same as you can use a compressor. All the locker cares about is seeing ~90-100psi ... if it sees that, it'll lock; when that pressure goes away (forget the actual level, but the manual should say) it'll unlock.

You can use the whole switch/solenoid setup that ARB makes, and just put the air bottle in place of the compressor ... as long as the bottle is regulated to the right pressure. Usually for tires or tools, the fixed regulators are set a bit higher on bottles ... so be mindful of ARB's NTE pressure levels.

If you really want, you can use manual valves and run air line all over ... or source your own solenoids & switches & harness ... but it's kind-of hard to beat something that's more plug-n-play, and I think you can get 1 or 2 locker harness setups from ARB; without having to get a compressor.
ok I see. I would just be worried about running the bottle out. you get a flat tire and fill it, then need to use the locker a couple of times then you go to use it again (say on a trip like moab where you are wheeling every day for a week) and its empty, I guess you could bring spares.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Agreed ... but, unless you've got a leak somewhere, a locker actuation actually only uses a very small amount of air (enough to bring the length of air line that runs from the source to the locker up from ambient to actuation pressure, it's not flowing continuously while the locker's engaged) ... and considering most bottles are CO2 (liquid at bottle pressure - significantly more expanded volume) and not compressed air, they have a ton of volume to burn through before running out.

You raise a legit concern, though; strictly speaking, if you're running the kind of trails where you wouldn't get through (or back out) without the locker engaged ... I guess you'd be up sh!t creek if you lost your air source part way through.

I'd be pretty surprised if someone burned through a 5lb bottle in a week of wheeling, unless they were running tools or airing up after every trail.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts