Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if I can take the 3.13's out of my R180 and put them into a M205 so I can match the rear ratio in my c200k axle??

Possible or should I just buy a set of 3.36's for the rear....

Also, do they even make a locker for the M205 front?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ARB was taking pre-orders for a M205 air locker. Not too sure where that is sitting. sombody will chime up soon about that
Yeah I remember hearing about that too. The bloak at the junk yard called me yesterday and said he has a 2012 titan front end waiting for me that is in a bad way from a hail storm. The truck only had 15k miles on it. I will be getting pretty much the entire front end for about $2000

Kind of has me thinking if I cant swap the r180 gears I have, should I just buy the rear end off this Titan too if no one has yet, and pull the R&P out of that and stick them in my c200k

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I take it the perches have to be welded closer to the pumpkin to fit the X frame?? Maybe I'll do that... The only prob is the rear end will prly cost me another 2k.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Was wondering if I can take the 3.13's out of my R180 and put them into a M205 so I can match the rear ratio in my c200k axle??

Possible or should I just buy a set of 3.36's for the rear....

Also, do they even make a locker for the M205 front?
1. R-180 gears will not fit in an M-205.
2. The M-205 locker is in preproduction if they get enough deposits. Might be a one-time run though, so if you want it get one right now while you can: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21478&page=10&highlight=m205+locker+arb

·
on line
14,627 Posts
if you put in a Titan rear end then you will have to have the brakes, wiring(+ ABS), and wheels for a Titan as well( more dollars)
and your front will have to have Titan spindles to match the wheels to the rear( more dollars)
you'll prolly wanna have better gears after doing all this work and your options are for 4:10 or 4:56 gears front and rear for the M205 and M226
AND... Lockers for the front and rear from ARB( preorder for the M205)

Is my thinking wrong?

To the original poster.
you will need to do a lot more research.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmm... Yeah I think I might just stick with the r180, and put an ARB on it. It would be just as strong as the M205.

The cost to do all of these conversions is way too much. Thx Chris.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Debatable if an ARB locked r180 will be as strong as a stock m205 ... no one has done any definitive testing on that; a locked r180 will *not* be as strong as a locked m205 - it will still have a ring gear that's fully 1" smaller in diameter.

I do know, though, that folks with a locked r180 tend to be breaking stock front half-shafts before their diff housings; so (IMO) you can say that locking the r180 does move the stock front weak link from inside the diff, to a (possibly) more trail-repair friendly point.

Not to put to fine a point on it, as some folks (S&S, as well as Chris) have done a good job of answering the questions in the OP ... but:
  • r180a gears will not fit in an m205 (S&S answered this, I'm just repeating for completeness)
  • Generally speaking, gears from one diff will not fit into another - different model - differential ... as with anything else, there are exceptions; but for discussion purposes, it's safe to assume.
  • Another option to get to the Titan hub bolt pattern in front, is to run adapters on the Xterra hubs. This will add to whatever track-width they're mounted to, but it is an option without having to go the full route of converting to Titan front hubs.
  • Titan spindles are *not* required if you want to run Titan width suspension in the front ... but Titan front hubs do require Titan spindles & Titan brakes. It is possible to run full Titan brakes on an Xterra master cylinder, but several folks (PRG-Greg, and OregonX come to mind ... there may be others) have reported less than optimal performance - at least that was how I interpreted it ... so more research is suggested here, before jumping in. IIRC, they reported that the truck stopped okay, but the brakes felt a bit mushy or soft.
  • I have not heard of similar issues with folks attempting to run a Titan rear axle (rear brakes only), but that may be incidental to the fact that there are less of them ... suggest more research here, too.
  • ABS sensor solution may be as simple as splicing the correct wires into the Xterra harness ... or it may be more complicated (as Chris said, double check this).
  • Titan rear perches (set up for spring-over axle - SOA) will be on the wrong side of the axle for the stock Xterra configuration (which runs spring-under axle, SUA) ... I don't believe that the width is any different, but that's easy enough to check with a tape measure once the axle is in-hand.
  • m205 ARB air locker *is* in pre-production, units are expected to ship in the Nov-Dec ('13) time frame. Probably not too late to put in a deposit, if you want one ... contact Steven at Rugged Rocks, balance (less deposit) is due on shipment (see the link that S&S posted).

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I will be getting pretty much the entire front end for about $2000

Kind of has me thinking if I cant swap the r180 gears I have, should I just buy the rear end off this Titan too if no one has yet, and pull the R&P out of that and stick them in my c200k
If you can get the complete rear axle out of the Titan you will have matching gearsets(factory). Spring perches will need to be moved to fit it under the X. And you will need a set of Titan Rims.

If you are planning to Tswap the front it may not be a bad way to go, you would need spacers and rims for the Titan bolt pattern anyway.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
If you can get the complete rear axle out of the Titan you will have matching gearsets(factory). Spring perches will need to be moved to fit it under the X. And you will need a set of Titan Rims.

If you are planning to Tswap the front it may not be a bad way to go, you would need spacers and rims for the Titan bolt pattern anyway.
It isn't quite that easy to swap in the rear axle from a Titan, the wiring doesn't match up I don't think.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts