Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am utterly perplexed. I've been working on vehicles all of my life - everything from large trucks to expensive sports cars and I've never seen anything like this.

I was removing my wheels to install my AAL and I snapped, not a 2nd, but a third lug at the threads!

I know what most of you are thinking; "He must be using an impact wrench and he cross-threaded the lug nut when he put it on."

True, I'm using an impact wrench, but I ALWAYS thread my lugs by hand/fingers first before I torque them down.

I am just astounded by how easily I've snapped these off and I don't know how it happened [again] to be honest.

Please tell me I am not the only one having this problem or I am going to feel like an idiot (my wife would say I'm an idiot anyway...).

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i cross threaded three studs when i was finishing up my lift, if that's any consolation.

you can get new studs and lugs for the dealer for cheap, i had a shop fix my screw up since i didn't have time to.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Duck, check your PM's.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Have not had this problem and I have had my wheels off more times than I can count. Though, except for when work was done at a shop, the wheels are always put on by hand and torqued to 98lbs by hand.

Though, unless your gun is set to 250lbs or something, I don't see why they would snap like they did.

·
on line
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PacoPico said:
I have snapped a couple too..by hand and with anti-sieze on the threads. Oh, and rear axle only.
Yup.... it is only the rear axle. I've had the front ones off more than the back and they have been fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts