Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How may here are running without the lower fan shroud?

I replaced my radiator recently and saw that my lower shroud was completely missing so I picked up one on fleabay.

There has been a clip change and the new lower shroud does not fit on the older upper shrouds. ( I have a 2006 )

I never had any overheating problems and was running w/o lower shroud for the last 5 years.

· Premium Member
621 Posts
Lost mine sometime in the last couple years. No issues. I asked my mechanic about it. He had an interesting test. Turn the engine on. Spread a light towel/handkerchief in front of the radiator. If it sticks the fan is pulling enough air for cooling. He says the shroud matters on some cars, but not the Xterra based on that test.

· Registered
334 Posts
Guys, sorry have to bring this back, just heard some rattling, sounded plasticky, sure enough my lower shroud is loose wobbling around sometimes brushing against the fan. I managed to force the two bottoms clips back onto it but doesn't look too secure. Anyway, based on this thread I can just ditch it? Heading to Sedona soon and need a quick answer/feedback. Hope I don't have to remove my rad skid (pain in the a*s) to secure it, and can just trash it. :)

It's that part 21477

Attachments

· Registered
2,985 Posts
Guys, sorry have to bring this back, just heard some rattling, sounded plasticky, sure enough my lower shroud is loose wobbling around sometimes brushing against the fan. I managed to force the two bottoms clips back onto it but doesn't look too secure. Anyway, based on this thread I can just ditch it? Heading to Sedona soon and need a quick answer/feedback. Hope I don't have to remove my rad skid (pain in the a*s) to secure it, and can just trash it. :)

It's that part 21477
You could probably ditch it without issue. When mine got loose I went nuts with the zip ties until it stopped moving.

· on line
3,592 Posts
I yanked mine out.. due to it bumping the fan.. Wire snips.. yank cut yank toss. done.

that was 80k ago.. ;-)

If it does not snap back in.. yank it out.

Reactions: X4dblduty

· Registered
521 Posts
I removed mine after my body lift two years ago. I haven’t had any cooling issues here in the hot Texas summers. I have driven from Fort Worth, TX to Fort Collins, CO in one day. Never had a problem.

· Registered
23 Posts
I am glad this thread is here. Ive been hearing the same noise. While changing my oil yesterday i saw one of the bottom clips are broke for the fan shroud. Looks like i can rig something up with zip ties for now. Might just rip it out like some of you guys.

· on line
2,613 Posts
The good thing is the engine cooling package is very good. So as long as you are not stressing the cooling system to the limit you can get away hurting the performance some. Looking at many of the aftermarket bumpers and the amount of airflow they block off, and people still don't have cooling issues. Eventually you can hurt enough cooling in different areas and maybe stress the drivetrain enough that part of a missing shroud might matter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts