Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently towed a u-haul trailer with my 2006 xterra for a couple hundred miles with ease - could hardly even tell it was back there. 140K+ miles and still going strong I love my X!!

Sadly a few days after that I found out that my brake lights weren't working properly (someone told me so there was no indicator light or anything). I experimented with it and the problem is the lower brake lights aren't working anymore (middle one on top works). All lights aside from the lower brake lights are working properly. I thought it must be a fuse so I checked those and they seem to be fine although I had some trouble identifying which one was for the brake lights so I just checked all of them including in the glove box and under the hood. (if you haven't figured out yet i'm a novice when it comes to electronics in a car)

I've searched around the forums but haven't found a fix so hoping someone out there can help before I have to go to the dealer!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Have you checked the bulbs? Not trying to sound like a smartass and i know it is not one of the first things that pop into your head because both are out at same time but never dismiss the easy solution

Trailers are often wired like crap. A small short or cross up somewhere could have caused enough sure to blow your bulbs but not really destroy your system. Over heating wires and everything else along the way from poorly wired trailers is more normal than you might think

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
If the third brake light is coming on, the brake light switch at the pedal is good.
IF the bulbs are good, start following the wiring from the hitch back up. More than likely someone hacked the factory wiring to add in the trailer wiring. Did U-Haul install a wiring "kit" so you could tow the trailer? If you get through the bulb check and trailer wiring butchery and still have the problem, time to get a service manual and start chasing the harness.

·
on line
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the suggestions it was the bulbs and there was also a short in the wiring for the trailer hitch.. You guys know your stuff :)

Fixed up and shining bright again!

Thanks so much

1 - 5 of 5 Posts