Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both of my lower ball joints are showing a bit of play. I do a lot of super remote travel, so I want to replace these well before they were to fail. I'm seeing some people say to just replace the whole lower control arm vs pressing out the individual ball joint?

Pros/cons to individual ball joint replacement?

Pros/cons to lower control arm (w/ ball joint) replacement?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
new control arms with ball joints installed are pretty affordable, probably the best route to go. do you have a lift? how about cam bolts? if not this would be a good time to intall some of those as well to accommodate a lift.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not have cam bolts, or a lift. I was looking at going with some 1.5" spacers, that's as much of a lift as I'd like. I am leaning towards just doing the complete LCA for time/simplicity. I've pressed out enough ball joints in my life that I'm kind of over it if it's only $50-100 more for the complete LCA units.

I have a friends1996 F-250 that needs ball joints done, kind of figured I'd save what tolerance I have for pressing ball joints, for that truck ;-)

·
TNX Veteran
4,021 Posts
It's the bushings that are REALLY REALLY REALLY difficult to replace because of how they are vulcanized and adhere.

Ball joints are not bad. I would prob just do the ball joint. Last time I did it I got new greasable ones for ~$45 per side. I rented the ball joint removal tool from the auto parts store (for free) and knocked it out in a few hours.

New control arms are closer to ~$100+ per side. Probably about the same amount of work. I would only do that if something else weird is happening with your LCAs.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Mine broke in a parking lot

Took out the cv axle upper boot, diff axle seal and I’ve course the ball joint.

I’m on the warpath for parts now, wish me luck, while I’m digging for axles are there any better brands than other for the parts?
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Now now don’t be coy lol I really want to hear your thoughts :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 6 of 6 Posts