Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Xterra 4x4 Manual: I'm looking for recommendations to even out my dragging butt when hauling a camper.

I haul a camper full-time, usually moving short distances 1-2x/month, long distance (1k miles+) 1-2x/year - I also use the Xterra as my main vehicle for commuting/everyday driving/weekend off-roading/etc. I just upgraded to a single axle/higher clearance trailer (max rec. weight) and the Xterra is riding lower in the back than it was with my old, double axle/lower framed trailer (same weight). I have WD/sway set as high as I can and a slightly raised ball to compensate for the higher trailer frame, but it's still weighing it down more than I'd like (picture attached).

I realize my likely options are air bags or new springs - something to keep it riding semi-normally off the trailer and fix the weight problem when hauling. I'm a budget minded person but I plan to haul full-time with the Xterra for a long time to come, so I want to balance cost with worth. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Timbren SES are another option. Similar to airbags but install and forget. Cant say enough good things about them and they are great for rigs that serve dual duty. You can pair them with stock springs end keep the stock ride when not towing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The weight distribution system is not set up correctly.

Adjust it so the spring bars are loaded up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
In the meantime, a set of $40 auto parts store helper springs and 10 minutes can be a great temporary fix - that's what I'm doing to pull my boat while I'm putting my pennies in the airbag fund. It actually seems to ride better even when not towing, and keeps it level with my 3900ish lb boat.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I pull a trailer that is very similar to your trailers weight (3300lbs, your looks to be 3700lbs) and I would highly recommend the firestone airbags. Easily install it yourself.
Adjust your weight distribution hitch up another chain ring. that will push more weight to the front of the vehicle and help reduce the sag in the rear a bit. If you use the tongue jack to raise the trailer, set the weight distribution hitch, then lower the jack. It will be easier to make the adjustment and save you from muscling it.

Also watch how much weight you're loading in the front of the trailer. Load your camping gear in totes and place it at the rear of the trailer. Careful though. too much weight on the rear of the trailer can cause the trailer to dangerously sway when towing. You'll know when you ahve too much weight in the back of the trailer, but rule of thumb is 10% of the trailer weight should be on the tongue. Stop at a scale and play around with your weight distrubition hitch (how many chain rings) and find out your total weight/tongue weight.

Looks like a nice trailer!

Hows reversing with the 6spd manual? I hate every second of it and wish the gearing was lower. Soon as its in reverse the X wants to go 15km/hr when I want a slow crawl. Using 4 low helps but of course watch out for binding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts