Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting with lifeinthesouth's original post here, I started on my own low pro rack. I plan on rhino lining the roof and powder coating the rack before I attach. The Al cost $115 and I paid someone to weld for $40.

Side view:

Close Up (notice the welding does not have to be perfect):

Here is the Hi - Lift and off road base:

Here is a quick mock up of what I am after:

This poses me with some problems:
How to connect the high-lift to the rack?

Option (1) Weld a threaded pin to the rack, thread through hole in I-beam and attach a nut. Looks like it can be done here is a close up:

Finshed this up today. I welded some plates across the cross member before I sent it to get powdercoated (80 bucks from the same place that rhino lined my roof). Here is a pic of it completed:

As for connecting to the roof I did something similar to lifeinthesouth. I bent some thin AL around a 2" pipe and and slipped around the roof rails. Once around I got a flat piece of AL drilled a large hole and clamped on with some welding clamps. This created the bind on the clamp I needed. Then drill through the rack, attach and bolt and nut, and tighten.

All together:

With highlift: I just put a nut through the pre-drilled hole in the welded plates on the cross members:

Profile from side:

Profile with my friend's bag up top:

·
on line
1,320 Posts
lookin good sancho! damn, you got it welded for $40... that's a good deal!
I like the first idea for mounting the hi-lift; just run a bolt w/wing-nut thru the beam and thru the hole in the jack.
As far as mounting... you now see it leaves some options... drilling thru the X rack is an idea but I would be concerned with structural integrity.
Looking forward to seeing it all hooked up!

·
on line
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got the top lined. Check it out here:

·
on line
254 Posts
Please keep us informed on how this turns out! I also would go with bolts through the bottom support member for the jack. If you weld a stud or plate in place then you will not have a flat surface to sit other things in there.

This is high on my list of things to do once it warms up. My plan is to take out the basket and top fairing that is part of the basket and extend the length of the rack to replace it. Have to match the angle of the lower fairing and thinking of using black Plexiglas to replace the fairing that is part of the basket. Have some oversized items I need to get up there and the Coleman with extension is a huge wind drag. Plus the added height seems to be just right to catch every tree branch in the woods. This might take care of both issues.

Curious how you end up attaching the rack. Also wondering if the angle iron vertical flat surfaces will cause wind drag or road noise.

Thanks for sharing your work, looks good and between this and the original from lifeinthesouth think it is a fantastic and very functional mod.

·
on line
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BUMP.. Finished the project! 600 miles and no wind noise!

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Great job!
Did you just spray paint it? It looks really good; i probably should have done that. The Dupli-color stuff i used looks like crap now; I don't really care because it's all about the utility of it but yours does look nice!
Now go do all that damn laundry you have in the back seat :thumbright:

·
on line
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it powder coated black for 80 bucks

·
on line
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
255 for the rack and all the materials. 100 bucks to rhino line the roof.

·
on line
809 Posts
Good job, that looks like a great solution that retains the load supporting function of the factory rack. That looks like a very marketable idea for a rack.

·
on line
97 Posts
Me Likey...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts