Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, two things.

First, I get a fast hum hum hum hum noise, (slight vibration MAYBE), when turning left while already in motion. If I come to a stop and make a left hand turn then it's fine as I'm usually traveling pretty slow. Like I said, at speed it is a different story, it's not a loud noise but audible and I can, (again, maybe), feel a slight vibration through the steering wheel. I've jacked it up and shook the wheel/tire at 12 and 6 and 3 and 9 but didn't feel anything at all, also checked all the boots and rod ends and they look fine, couldn't see anywhere that it would be rubbing either.

Second, between 65-75mph on the freeway I can hear a VERY audible and slower but more drawn out huuuuummm huuuuummm huuuuummm that is constant. Going straight, turning, everything. It's been doing this for the past year but I haven't started to think about it until recently ... which may mean that it is getting worse, lol. It doesn't seem to handle funny or have any unnerving tendencies, just the sound. I tried to record it but even with the windows up road noise is louder in the video.

This weekend I might go in and have someone check my alignment and balance my wheel and tires to see of that helps at all. Tires are only Bridgestone Dueler APT's in 265/65-17.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I still think your first one could be a wheel bearing, but I could be wrong.

The second sounds like a pinion bearing, but that is just a guess. Does it sound like it's coming from the back of the vehicle? If so, check the pinion flange on the rear axle and see if there is any oil leakage, that would be another indicator.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still think your first one could be a wheel bearing, but I could be wrong.

The second sounds like a pinion bearing, but that is just a guess. Does it sound like it's coming from the back of the vehicle? If so, check the pinion flange on the rear axle and see if there is any oil leakage, that would be another indicator.
No, the loud humming definitely sounds like it is coming from the front. I will go ahead and check the pinion flange anyways. I have no signs of leakage anywhere that I park.

Fyi, my Xterra aspires to turn into yours, lol.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
^^ you and me both man, Killswitch's rig is awesome!

If you go to replace the wheel bearing, go to rock auto. I went elsewhere and when I got the hub the ABS wire was sliced. Killswitch had to help me again (I think I owe you a six pack of homebrew right?) and soldered the thing together, on father's day of all days!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts