Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's still a bit more to come, but by and large, the SLR suspension is on my truck. And the results are excellent. It crawls rocks pretty darn well, but the real story is the way it handles uneven terrain, bumps, washes and whoops. It's a pleasure to drive on the freeway, but the spring rates, shock valving and travel give the X everything it needs to hit rough terrain hard, under heavy load, and still keep riding smooth and sure.

Light racing jounce shocks ("air bumps") are going on as I post this, and I'll get more pics up soon, but these shots are from my first trip out to the Mojave. The fenders need more work, and there's tweaking to be done, but the ride's already more than I had hoped for. Loaded for bear, Shrocked all around, winch, recovery gear, tools--I put everything in the garage, including firewood into the thing to test it for expedition-type trips in the rough stuff, and it handled it all very, very well. Spencer and the guys at SLR do great work.

Here's the rear truss, which looks cool with Jim's diff skid (not installed in these pics, obviously).

Our desert rocks, BFGs aired down to 20.

Deaver leafs loaded, and unloaded. Even at full droop, the arc is fairly mild.

Spencer's UCA, with uniball. It's Titan length and the lower is Titan stock with SLR "box."

The 2.5" dia. King coilover just squeezes between the tie rod end and the half shaft (2.5" longer per side). The bottom of the LCA makes a solid skid, when necessary.

The Hannemann fender, in rear profile, is a bit boxy for my taste, but it does the trick.

The wheels are Pro Comp forged alloys, with 3/4" spacers. The trail is Sheep Spring, in the high desert.

·
on line
123 Posts
Wow, that's a beaut. What's the total lift you obtained and what size tires are you running?

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LoPo said:
What's the total lift you obtained and what size tires are you running?
We haven't measured exactly, and the ride height's been raised slightly since these pics, but it's at about 3". The point was to increase travel and to fit the big shocks and springs, not to lift the truck for heights sake, so the result is mild as lifts go. The geometry is excellent; look at how level the LCAs are in the first pic. The stability, esp. with the wider track width, is a real confidence builder. I figured a lift would make my X more tippy, but the opposite is true of this set-up. It handles fire roads noticeably better. And even though the sway bars are long gone, body roll is close to a non-issue. The only downside is that wider track is, well, wider. I gotta watch those sidewalls.

I had the obvious concerns about the drivetrain, so I stuck with 285 75 16s (33x11.5). And I love the Toyos, but couldn't justify the weight, at 68lbs, so I went with the BFG MTs, at almost 15 lbs. lighter a corner. To me, they're almost as smooth and quiet as the ATs I was running.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The mount for the front air bumps is actually up top, in front of the UCA. You can just make it out in a few of the pics. The landing pad is on the LCA, and the bumpstop is basically resting on the lower, so it dampens travel all the time. The bumps have been installed since June and front is working incredibly well.

I'm also running the Lightracing bumps in the rear, and I'm still in the process of dialing them in. Right now, they're contacting the axle long before the shock runs out of compression, and I think they're charged with too much pressure (they're at about 150 psi.), so while they help dampen tremendously, there's an unnecessary jolt, even on the street. But get the X up to speed under load off road, and they work like a charm.

I'm at work, and most of my pics are at home, but I'll see what I have here. Overall, the set-up is working beyond what I had hoped in general. Greg at PRG and I drove it together a couple weeks ago, he re-valved the rear shocks, charged the air bumps (I'll probably have him cut the psi in half now) in the rear and made a few other suggestions. He seemed to really like the way the truck works.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
miles said:
Beautiful...setup can you post a side shot...

I heard on XOC that spencer low racing went under?
Yeah, thanks, man, and those are old pics. I've added a few odds and ends. I will post new pics.

SLR is no more, though the set-up could be more or less duplicated. You need longer half-shafts, made by Sway-A-Way, proprietary for SLR, but now probably available from Greg. Spencer also boxed the Titan lowers and moved the shock mount out, designed a rear truss, fabbed up bracketry for the bumps and tabs for the shocks--all do-able stuff. I have another similar kit from Spencer which we're installing on my friend's X over the next month or so. Same set up in front, but we're using Radflos and Timbrens in the rear with the OEM mounts.

I've been in touch with Spencer a bit, and I'm hoping he gets back in it soon. I'm fairly new to this stuff, but I've been around enough to know the guy has an amazing mind for fabrication work. He made my frequently very heavily loaded, completely Shrocked X into a fast, solid pre-runner that can hit hard whoops and uneven ground without skipping a beat.

·
on line
1,340 Posts
d-rap said:
I've been in touch with Spencer a bit, and I'm hoping he gets back in it soon. I'm fairly new to this stuff, but I've been around enough to know the guy has an amazing mind for fabrication work. He made my frequently very heavily loaded, completely Shrocked X into a fast, solid pre-runner that can hit hard whoops and uneven ground without skipping a beat.
Man I hope SLR comes back. PRG sells great stuff but SLR makes great stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts