Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well..I lost both keys within the week -second one just a few minutes ago in the snow......anyone know how long to get a replacement, is it same day or a week....truck is in my driveway and van in garage...so we re stuck....hope its not long...

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Dealership might have key blanks available, and they can cut based on your VIN. Worst case, overnight shipping is just a credit card away. Would be a great opportunity to upgrade to a Rogue key.

In the meantime, backtrack your day with a really strong magnet and see what pops up :)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dealership might have key blanks available, and they can cut based on your VIN. Worst case, overnight shipping is just a credit card away. Would be a great opportunity to upgrade to a Rogue key.

In the mean time, walk around your truck with a really strong magnet and see what pops up :)
Ya thought about that...But we got 15cm of snow today and more coming as I write... I siffed a good square area on hands and knees and no luck..even shoveled a good part into a bucket and hosed it down to melt it..hoping it would be in that batch...ya right..

Thanks for the help..

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
call a locksmith and ask for a price. My buddy lost the key to his FJ when we were at the coast. Locksmith came out, cut a key to fit, programmed the immobilizer and it was under $160.00

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could you use the hose on some sort of sprinkler setting and melt a whole section of snow? Would freeze after but might let you find the key.
I could but it took me over half an hour with the hose and high pressure to do that section i shoveled into a garbage can and emptied it in the driveway//I would suspect a sprinkler would take a lot longer..its getting colder overnight now plus its snowing...but that would be funny..i live in a bust street..ppl would be wtf is this guy dong watering the snow...

Im calling nissan tomorrow and see what it takes...good thing im off work these two days...

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
well if you lost the key you can get a key blank to open the doors but it will not start. You need a programmed key to start the vehicle, and i think that can only be done by a dealer. so probably going to have to get a tow truck and tow it to the dealer to cust and program a new set of keys :(

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well if you lost the key you can get a key blank to open the doors but it will not start. You need a programmed key to start the vehicle, and i think that can only be done by a dealer. so probably going to have to get a tow truck and tow it to the dealer to cust and program a new set of keys :(
You think?? For a 2007?? Its just a regular key..I have my after market remote to open the truck up.. It was armed with the after market starter.. I lost the FOB last week but thats not a big deal.. The aftermarket set up controls both systems...

Anyhow I don't think these keys have any chips in them of any sort..At least they don't seem to show that...

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
I know in '05 it was an option. Mine for sure has the chip. I made a regular key and tried it. I tried to start 2 times and after that it wouldn't start even with the key with the chip. I left it alone and tried it an hour later and it fired up.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
You think?? For a 2007?? Its just a regular key..I have my after market remote to open the truck up.. It was armed with the after market starter.. I lost the FOB last week but thats not a big deal.. The aftermarket set up controls both systems...

Anyhow I don't think these keys have any chips in them of any sort..At least they don't seem to show that...
ALL second gen Xterras have an RFID chip in the key, and yes locksmiths can do them. I've had 3 spares made for my X, but they need the Xterra to do it.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
NISSAN VEHICLE IMMOBILIZER
SYSTEM (NVIS) KEYS (if so
equipped)
You can only drive your vehicle using the master
or valet keys which are registered to the NISSAN
Vehicle Immobilizer System components in your
vehicle. These keys have a transponder chip in
the key head.
The master key can be used for all the locks.

A lot of the base models do not have the Immobilizer. Particularly the S and X models!

·
Registered
630 Posts
... and yes locksmiths can do them. I've had 3 spares made for my X, but they need the Xterra to do it.
This. When I bought my 05 last year I didn't want to pay the dealer price for an extra set of keys (it only came with 1). A local locksmith cut and programmed 2 new keys for about half the price, but he did require the truck to do the work.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a quick update:
Found first set of keys..on the baby stroller in cargo area.. I only checked there twenty times before..
So now.. I went and cut a key at Home Depot.. the key will turn the ignition on and even though my master key is in close proximity to the ignition..the truck will not start (even though I had read that this might work.. Negative)..

So now Nissan charges is 35 bucks for the key and 85 bucks to program..
Called a lock smith just to ask prices.. it was about the same..

Going to Nissan tomorrow..

Thanks for all the help...hope it was informative to some extent from all the replies...

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Just a quick update:
Found first set of keys..on the baby stroller in cargo area.. I only checked there twenty times before..
So now.. I went and cut a key at Home Depot.. the key will turn the ignition on and even though my master key is in close proximity to the ignition..the truck will not start (even though I had read that this might work.. Negative)..

So now Nissan charges is 35 bucks for the key and 85 bucks to program..
Called a lock smith just to ask prices.. it was about the same..

Going to Nissan tomorrow..

Thanks for all the help...hope it was informative to some extent from all the replies...
Fwiw, the cost to hook up and program is usually the same flat price to program 1 key or 2-3 etc... Might be a good idea to get a few done, given how often you lose them.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fwiw, the cost to hook up and program is usually the same flat price to program 1 key or 2-3 etc... Might be a good idea to get a few done, given how often you lose them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Already in my plan.. ;) and yes.. more often than I should...

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
How about a roof torch? That sucker will make light work of the snow...
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...ci_sku=29201&gclid=COH8rcO-irsCFe01Qgoda3MAkg

And then one of these for when you lose it again;) lol
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/the-sharper-image-remote-key-finder?ID=1053894&cm_mmc=Google_DMA_Home_Bed%26Bath_PLA-_-PLA+Home+Brands+-+Bedding+Bath_PLA+-+Bedding+Bath+-+Sharper+Image+-+2-_-32962853310_-_-_mkwid_lD6kiE0I|d{device}_32962853310|-|lD6kiE0I

1 - 20 of 20 Posts