Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some troubles that I think my be transmission related, but I'm far from being an expert.

Yesterday, I went out to run errands and everything was working fine. I stopped somewhere for about 45 minutes and when I came out the truck was hard to start and when I began driving the acceleration response was not normal. I had to give it more gas than usual to get up to speed. I thought maybe it was bad gas or something to do with the throttle response, but the truck ran smoothly when idling. I then settled on transmission issues of some kind. When I got home I discovered that the trans fluid was low so I topped it off. The truck started and ran fine after that.

Today, I went out again and the exact same thing happened except the trans fluid level is fine.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think it's been bypassed. Trans fluid was clear brown and coolant was green.

My X is a 2012, by the way.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Run it past an auto parts store which offers a free code scan check.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i feel like either air intake or exhaust systems (possibly fuel system) could be problem since your car is stable at idle, but your car is hard to accelerate and to start.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, the truck finally threw a CEL and I was able to get it to the shop. Both of the cam position sensors were bad. I had them replaced and everything was good...for less than a week. Today, it started doing the same thing except worse. I limped it to the shop and they are looking at it now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The shop just called and a crankshaft position sensor is bad. He said the only time they typically see something like this is when there is some sort of electrical issue frying the sensors.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
the crank and cam sensors are not uncommon things to fail on these vehicles. it is kinda weird they all crapped out at at once bascially.

·
Registered
107 Posts
When I had a cam sensor go it was recommended by somone else on this site to go with OEM sensors direct from the dealer. Then I started to read all about other folks having sensors go bad within weeks or months of replacing them. I got an OEM from the dealer for about twice the cost of going to the parts store and haven't had any problems with it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What exactly is required to replace these sensors if/when they go bad?

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Buy the hitachi cam sensors from rock auto and the crank sensor from Nissan directly. Hitachi is the oem for the cams and the cost in rock auto is less than half the cost of Nissan direct. Unfortunately rock auto does not sell the hitachi crank which is why we all buy that from Nissan directly. If you replaced your cam sensors with non hitachi ones from auto zone you are very likely to experience additional failures. As previously said our rigs need oem quality electronics generally, at least when it comes to sensors and parts required to make them run.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts