Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Retired: 05 SE 4wd SY // 05 SE 4wd SY Current: 05 S 4wd SY + 06 SE 4wd NA
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm looking at my 15-year old suspension and thinking its probably time to just go with the all around replacement. Considering the ADO kit with the full leafs.
If I wasn't under the gun I'd definitely change plan and go whole hog. But I have surgery in a week that'll put me out for at least a couple months, and I want to leave my gf a fully working/safe vehicle.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My experience with this type of stuff is at 150k, it's better to just replace it all at once. Unless u have a BMW, Audi or something.

List:
Sway bar end links, center bushings F+R
Tie rod ends, inner and outer
Ball joints, upper and lower
Control arm bushings (this is usually missed!)
Rear leafs
Shocks rear, loaded struts front

I'd guess $1,200 inc the leafs and alignment would cover it all. The loaded struts and leafs are ur big expenses. Might be cheaper to buy entire control arm than bushings and ball joints seperate. I'd at least check that out.

You could put the front in the air and shake it down. Shake wheel top to bottom, if there's play its your ball joints, side to side if play it's your tie rods. Given the mileage, there's no sense in taking it apart only to do it twice or more.

I'd just hit up rock auto or search for a complete kit. Moog is the way to go, oreilly, autozone, etc is just junk. Of course they advertise lifetime warranty, that's because it's cheap as shit for them to replace for free.

It's all doable yourself with a 3/8 and 1/2 ratchet and 12, 14, 17, 19, 22mm sockets along with the same in wrenches to hold down nuts while unwinding, etc. A breaker bar speeds it up x2, a gun x8 haha . As especially you'll find removing one part leads to another coming out easily.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
My experience with this type of stuff is at 150k, it's better to just replace it all at once. Unless u have a BMW, Audi or something.

List:
Sway bar end links, center bushings F+R
Tie rod ends, inner and outer
Ball joints, upper and lower
Control arm bushings (this is usually missed!)
Rear leafs
Shocks rear, loaded struts front

I'd guess $1,200 inc the leafs and alignment would cover it all. The loaded struts and leafs are ur big expenses. Might be cheaper to buy entire control arm than bushings and ball joints seperate. I'd at least check that out.

You could put the front in the air and shake it down. Shake wheel top to bottom, if there's play its your ball joints, side to side if play it's your tie rods. Given the mileage, there's no sense in taking it apart only to do it twice or more.

I'd just hit up rock auto or search for a complete kit. Moog is the way to go, oreilly, autozone, etc is just junk. Of course they advertise lifetime warranty, that's because it's cheap as shit for them to replace for free.

It's all doable yourself with a 3/8 and 1/2 ratchet and 12, 14, 17, 19, 22mm sockets along with the same in wrenches to hold down nuts while unwinding, etc. A breaker bar speeds it up x2, a gun x8 haha . As especially you'll find removing one part leads to another coming out easily.
Yup, doing it all... other than the rear leafs, I think I have everything on your list. Already bought the control arm bushings so I'm committed to that, but if I had to do over again I'd consider just replacing the entire UCA.

Got the tools covered from working on my previous Xs (starter motor, cats, u-joints, etc) but picked up a 24" breaker to make my life easier lol Really wish I had access to a lift - now that'd be nice!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Missed ur last post about a timeframe. I would shake down the front then to see where the play is coming from
Yeah, just going ahead and doing it all. So unless it's something in the steering rack I should be taking care of the failure point(s). Knock on wood!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts