Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the front right bolt just pulls right up out of the floor anytime I lean back at all or accelerate. Has the floor hole just probably worn out? The bolt cannot be tightened any further and seems like it's in fine shape. Anyone had this happen? Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Upon further investigation it appears the hole the bolt goes down into has broken loose entirely and needs to be welded back into place. Blargh! 🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Was it welded, riveted originally?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I would be tempted to weld a large steel washer ( I would call such a bumper washer) to the underside of the floor and use an extended bolt of proper diameter with a lock washer and nut to keep things secure

Put everything in place and test your seat prior to welding :)

Reactions: dtrain252

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Oh man
.this just happened to me a few hours ago...same thread post just collapsed putting the bolt back...
it fell underneath...
Just made a post..asking for options....didn't think it was that common...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh man
.this just happened to me a few hours ago...same thread post just collapsed putting the bolt back...
it fell underneath...
Just made a post..asking for options....didn't think it was that common...
it's now both of my seat posts on the right hand side. Front and back. I haven't addressed it yet. Not sure what to do honestly. Let me know what you end up doing!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
it's now both of my seat posts on the right hand side. Front and back. I haven't addressed it yet. Not sure what to do honestly. Let me know what you end up doing!
One guy answered my post..Rivnut seems to be the best option..just a question of finding them...

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
This is whsat we answered on my post :

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums

Nex

Removed Seat now the Threading Post fell Through...
TagsNone

Jump to LatestFollow

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

[IMG alt="Nex"]https://www.thenewx.org/d1/avatars/m/4/4419.jpg?1563889502[/IMG]
Nex
·Registered
Joined Jan 10, 2010
·
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · 2 d ago

So I took out my seats..did. big carpet cleaning etc.
As I'm putting the front seat back..I place the bolt on its place and realized the thread post that it screws into, is no longer there..
As I check closer..I hear it fall into the undercarriage.."Bye bye threads"..
I assume the welds got rotted out or something...or I shouldn't have used an impact drill to put it back..

Anyone have a solution how to thread that seat bolt in that opening..

2007 Knight Armour ❌terra OR

Reply Quote

[IMG alt="LNXPenguin"]https://www.thenewx.org/d1/avatars/m/62/62018.jpg?1563889504[/IMG]
LNXPenguin
·Professional Amateur Wanderer
Joined May 4, 2016
·
570 Posts
#2 · 2 d ago (Edited)

Nex said:
So I took out my seats..did. big carpet cleaning etc.
As I'm putting the front seat back..I place the bolt on its place and realized the thread post that it screws into, is no longer there..
As I check closer..I hear it fall into the undercarriage.."Bye bye threads"..
I assume the welds got rotted out or something...or I shouldn't have used an impact drill to put it back..

Anyone have a solution how to thread that seat bolt in that opening..
"I haven't removed my seats, so I don't know what to expect there, however, one option may be to use a stainless steel rivnut. Drill the hole out to the proper size, set rivnut, and you are good to go. You don't even need a special tool, the easiest way to set a rivnut on the cheap, is to use a high grade bolt, like 8.8 or higher, 2 washers and a nut of the same bolt hardness. Jam the rivnut in the hole, it should be really snug, like takes a hammer to punch in, and make sure the rim (shoulder) of the rivnut is completely flat against the surface of the sheet metal. Then place 2 washers on top of rivnut, thread bolt through nut, and set nut/bolt assembly into the rivnut, I suggest making sure you get at least 6-8 threads of engagement in the rivnut (you can dry test this and count the number of revolutions it takes for the bolt to pass through the rivnut so you see a few threads sticking out the bottom). Hold top of bolt with ratchet, and tighten the nut until rivnut mushrooms and holds on its own. This is where the 2 washers come into play, it allows some slippage. This usually takes 5-6 full revolutions, sometimes more sometimes less. Then holding bolt head, loosen nut, and unthread the bolt assembly from now set rivnut. Reinstall seat and celebrate."

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Just fixed mine today.. Used a big butterfly anchor..I was lucky to have a few lying around..
So I passed the screw through the seat base..the butterfly was too big to go through that seat bolt opening.. so I threaded the butterfly to the screw after passing it through.. (of course I used 2 washers..roughly the same size as the stock washer on the bolt - obviously the screw that fits the butterfly is much smaller in diameter than the stock bolt.. .. Passed that through the hole then screwed the butterfly onto the screw.. and passed it into the floor board.. done! anchored in nice and tight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts