Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed today at the Nissan dealer that the real basic Frontiers (and the very early 2005 x model Xterra's) have a lock cylinder in the passenger door. The ones that don't have a power package, apparently. Not having a key in the pass. door drives me crazy because I don't carry key fob remotes (I have a policy against keychains).

anybody ever made a swap to locks all around? The door handle, rod and tumbler go for about $140 list. not sure if you can oder the key cyl to your key code..still mulling over weather or not this is worth it.

sort of like the pain and expense of buying the temp mirror.

p.s. two identical 2007 OR models with 6 speeds just like mine at this one dealer (I thought mine was rare) -same color and everything..a couple of other OR models too...I keep hearing about people back east that can't find these things. I bet I could find 15 of them in San Diego right now.

·
on line
192 Posts
I have one of those early 2005x's without the power package and it drives me crazy. EVERY single person that has ever gotten in my car has said "they make them without power locks and windows?"

How about you drive to Utah, and we swap all 4 doors and hatch out? I will just order a new wiring harness to account for the power windows and locks.

·
on line
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like roll up windows, but reaching for the pass door lock must be tough. Look on the bright side..you will never have to buy a window regulator for the rear doors. Hell, probably never have to buy any of them.

I may do this after November for a little project.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
mike100 said:
p.s. two identical 2007 OR models with 6 speeds just like mine at this one dealer (I thought mine was rare) -same color and everything..a couple of other OR models too...I keep hearing about people back east that can't find these things. I bet I could find 15 of them in San Diego right now.
Well finding an OR isnt hard... but finding a 4x4 OR is. I dont know if they even make the 4x2 OR's any more but when they did that is all i could find on any of the lots here in Houston.

·
on line
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
S_e_X-Terra said:
mike100 said:
Well finding an OR isnt hard... but finding a 4x4 OR is. I dont know if they even make the 4x2 OR's any more but when they did that is all i could find on any of the lots here in Houston.
I found 10 for sure just at one dealer group. the other two nissan stpores might have one or two as well. I'm telling you that for about 5 seconds I thought about trading my 2005 in for the exact same truck so I wouldn't have to wash it or buy new tires.

·
on line
807 Posts
So, it comes down to spending $140 on hardware, plus whatever a cylinder costs, plus drilling a hole in your door and hooking it all up, all so that you don't have to carry around a keyfob?
No offense, but thats pretty dumb.

·
on line
384 Posts
Lonesome Crow said:
What about just mounting the key less entry pad on the door. This would be a lot easier than changing out locks.
And if you don't want to mount it to the door, then mount it up on the side of the gearbox. Mine is actually mounted facing upward, so its completely out of sight. Once you learn the code, you don't even need to see it to use it. My wife is 5'4" and has no problem stepping up on the slider and using it.

But if you do end up installing a lock, then a "How To" will be a must, so take lots of pictures and notes when you do it!

·
on line
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
stevet47 said:
So, it comes down to spending $140 on hardware, plus whatever a cylinder costs, plus drilling a hole in your door and hooking it all up, all so that you don't have to carry around a keyfob?
i didn't think about the door not having a hole..i'm hoping it does already. BTW, not carrying a keyfob is worth $140 to me. I do not ever want to hear the horn honking or have my x open up in the lot because i bent over to pick something up and had a false activation.

·
on line
149 Posts
mike100 said:
stevet47 said:
i didn't think about the door not having a hole..i'm hoping it does already. BTW, not carrying a keyfob is worth $140 to me. I do not ever want to hear the horn honking or have my x open up in the lot because i bent over to pick something up and had a false activation.
If you falsely activate the keyfob and don't open the doors within ~ 30secs I think, they automatically lock. Not sure if you mean when you lock it that the horn beeps and that annoys you, but you can also turn that off so it doesn't beep when you lock it.

·
on line
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you got me on the 30 seconds thing... I forgot the newer cars do that. I'm hard headed on the no keychain thing. If the door doesn't have the hole for a lock cylinder, I'll probably just keep walking to the rear hatch when I'm on the wrong side of the truck.

·
on line
807 Posts
Yea, if you don't open the door within 30seconds of unlocking it with the keyfob the doors will automatically re-lock. Also, if you hold down the lock and unlock buttons on the keyfob at the same time for a couple seconds you will turn off the horn-beep function.

·
on line
192 Posts
stevet47 said:
No drilling required, the key hole is in the door handle. With the proper parts i couldnt imagine this taking over an hour to install.

Some people just have different preferences, i dont think you need to be calling him dumb just because he prefers something else. If you have something to help, or add to the discussion chime in.

·
on line
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't mind about the comment, but once you get a certain age, you find that you could do without certain complexities. Sort of like people over 50 year old who insist on keeping a carbuerated vehicle around because they know how to fix it.

I have an aversion to batteries and large lumps in my pocket. don't even try to change my mind, I just appreciate the mechanical simplicity of certain things.

·
on line
149 Posts
I'm not trying to change your mind, but something I like about the keyfob is when you use it at night the dome lights turn on. I guess it's just more security if my wife is in a parking lot at night and can hit the unlock button, car lights up, and if something is wrong there is a panic button....better than nothing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts