Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
on line
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a new 2007 X-Terra. I would like to have the Off-Road model but there is only one around me and it has no options at all, not sure if this is good or not (not sure if I feel like upgrading audio system later). Can the Rockford system be added by the dealer or no?

Also, I'm planning on getting into offroading with my friends but not totally sure if I need the Offroad model, but I like the idea of having it in case. Another sticking point is the seats, are tehy really that much better than the other models? I have always had cloth seats, but I just dont see how these seats (non OR) are so inferior. Do they really rip easily?

The Dealer quoted me about $1500 off from the sticker price. Also for those who financed what rates am I going to be lookin at, i currently pay 4.9% is this doable through Nissan?

I'd greatly appreciated any help you can provide in making this new buying decision.

·
on line
246 Posts
Honestly, see if you can find a '06, you'll get a much better deal. There really are no difference between '06 and '07. As for options, there really aren’t many options to begin with. I don't know if the RF package can be added but you can probably get a better system added for cheaper. Heck, the stock system might be good enough; I know it is for me for now. The OR model is definitely nicer off road than the other model. As for the seats, I think the ones in my S are great. I have 4,800 miles and no fraying, but if you are worried, and I recommend this for the OR seats as well, get some neoprene seat covers.

I doubt you will get 4.9%. When I bought my '06 I had my own financing through my credit union at 5.9%. But this is in Florida, so who knows what it's like in your area.

·
on line
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Terder for the input. There are no OR 2006's left at all in the area that I can find. I think I might just go with the 07 OR. And add the aftermarket stereo myself, use to do it all the time when I was younger still have some Amps lying around as well as some wires :).

How harsh is Nissan with trade ins. KBB and Edmunds say my trade in is worth roughly $8000 and I have $2500 left on it so net I'm looking at about $5500 trade in. Those who have traded in do you get close to what Edmunds and KBB says for the trade in value? Also I have an extended warrantly on it as well as an aftermarket alarm/remote starter and snow tire package, so I'm hoping to get a little more.

Thanks.. All input greatly aprpeciated.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I don't know if the tires, and alarm will do much for you on trade in but the extended warranty might help as that would be a good resale point for them.

I agree do an after market upgrade if you don't think the sound system is good. In my opinion the RF isn't worth the money unless you want the entire system consealed which I believe it is.

As far as how much you can get off the price, I don't think they will budge to much on the 07's but it also depends on your market. I had a hard time getting a dealer to come down but eventually did and got pretty good deal that I am happy with. The key to the price is get a price you are happy with and don't worry about what others have paid.

·
on line
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anyone have pictures of the factory sub and amp location for the RF sound system? Just wondering if its possible to replicate with aftermarket equipment. Thanks.

·
on line
163 Posts
If you're planning on doing some OffRoading... DO NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT get the side curtain airbags, the "roll over" ones.

I had them and they went off on me, and Nissan gave me a super hard time when it came to fixing them. 12,500 miles on my Xterra and they were acting like there was nothing wrong with my airbags randomly deploying.

I have done a write up on it and all, and I just have to get the pictures downloaded to my computer so I can post them up.

·
on line
163 Posts
Also, the RF isn't really worth it. The sub is just a small flat box and can't offer any clearity. It makes the music sound more staticy than the base stereo. The base is a good stereo and has pretty good bass and sounds good. The in-dash 6 of the RF is nice and the RF head looks better, but save your money.

I had an '06 with the RF in it, now my new '06 doesn't and I can barely hear a difference. I acutally like the sound of the base one better, it is cleaner (less staticy).

If you want an 2006 OR, there aren't too many left. The differences are very minor and you can save a few $1000 dollars by going to an '06

·
on line
3,217 Posts
If you can't find one around your area then you can always have the dealer pull up a search to find a dealer that does. Tell them what options that you want to have in it and then make them search for the one that you want. They will have to trade one of their vehicles to replace the one that they are getting from the other dealer. If there are none around you can always go and order straight from the factory. If he is offering you $1500 then that's probably just the factory rebate for it. You should tell them to get a lower price or you'll walk. One thing I do when I consult for people looking at buying a car and they want to do it on their own is to go to KBB.com and look up the vehicle that they want to buy.

Then price it with all of the options that you want in it and then use the price of the invoice and use that as your starting point for the negotations. If you are going to be doing a trade in don't mention it until right before you are signing the papers then mention it so that they have to take off more money. Be care as they'll try to jack up the price on you because of it. If they do then walk.

Another thing is to be careful to look at the mileage of the vehicle. If it's more then a few miles then don't buy it as a new vehicle since it is technically used. I'm talking if it's got a couple thousand miles. The dealer I bought my rig from wanted to sell me an SE edition with 25K on it for the same price that I bought my rig for with only 10 miles or something like that on it. I told him that I was a car buying consultant and I wasn't going to be paying a new car price on a used truck. I went home to look at that price that it was going to cost as a used truck but they wouldn't sell it to me for that price.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
E-mail around to all the Internet Managers in your area (be willing to driving a hundred miles or better to save a hunk of money). Let them know what you are looking for, your trade, and make them give you a quote. I bought an '06 Offroad a little over a month ago, and I got it for $4,000 under MSRP, plus an additional $500 off for college grad. BUT, I got this deal BY NEVER LEAVING THE HOUSE! I just e-mailed all the Internet Managers in my area, and went and test drove the one who gave me the best price. Bought it with zero haggling, and got a killer deal!

You WILL get a better deal on an '06... period; try to find one if you can. Any '06s they have by now have been sitting on the lot for 60-90 days at least, so they have to get rid of them.

As for trades, depends on your area. I got $2500 for a trade that was worth about that. Definitely got a fair deal. Check all the sites... KBB, Edmunds, and NADA, and also check local selling prices (obviously, these will be higher). You should be able to get about what these tell you.

Just be an educated consumer... obviously that is why you are hear. Most of the car buying public gets swept up in emotion and MUST have the new car now. The best thing you can do at the dealer is walk away... they will give you a call back, and give you a better deal (I've been there, too).

These topic has been covered a few times. I've posted some more in-depth stuff/tips if you do a search under my name. Good luck! ~Steve

·
on line
1,361 Posts
i did the same thing, emailed everyone within 100 mile radius before I stepped foot in a dealership.

I got my for about 5k below msrp but it was an S not an offroad. I didn't get the exact color I wanted but it was in my top 3 and now has become my favorite :cyclops:

As I said earlier, it's all on your market, pit dealership against dealership and be serious about buying but always be willing to walk if the price isn't what you want.

I had 4 dealerships pricing the same rig since there were only 3 manuals S's in my area (1 was a color I didn't want and the other the dealership wouldn't release it) and they all came in with big swings from each other which is odd cause it was the exact same truck.

happy hunting

·
on line
54 Posts
I used Nissan's web page to search the inventory of all the dealerships around me and kept an eye out for a dealership that had a vehicle on the lot for several months. I was able to use that in getting a pretty good price. (I think it had been on the lot for 6 months) You have to be flexible about colors and options though...

·
on line
204 Posts
jwd270 said:
I used Nissan's web page to search the inventory of all the dealerships around me and kept an eye out for a dealership that had a vehicle on the lot for several months. I was able to use that in getting a pretty good price. (I think it had been on the lot for 6 months) You have to be flexible about colors and options though...
Well said... You will also get a better deal on a vehicle that they have on the lot than you will when they have to locate a vehicle for you.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Spicoli said:
If you're planning on doing some OffRoading... DO NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT get the side curtain airbags, the "roll over" ones.
Please explain. Mine came w/ the side curtain airbags: what can I expect from them? What conditions can set them off and is there a way to temporarily defeat them?

·
on line
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow...thanks for the great responses so far. I have only been doing my price quoting and research via Internet. A few places are not responding at all though :( . I wanted Night Armor or Sandstone but it looks like if I was going with the one on the lot it will be white. Night Armor is tough to find huh.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
FWIW - My insurance rates stayed the same when I moved from a 02 SE S/C Xterra to a 05 OR Xterra.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
I think it is a dealer installed option, mine didn't have them.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
B Slater said:
I think it is a dealer installed option, mine didn't have them.
And if you are getting the Offroad model to actually offroad then don't get them you will destroy them the first time out. Get some after market sliders instead if you want a step.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts