Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading this section of the forum over and over and already feel like my head is gonna explode...:)
Guys, I already have winter studded tires on stock rims and now I need to find something for the rest of the year (on aftermarket rims). Would go with 265/75/16 size. I love more aggressive look, but as X is mainly our family car, it will be mostly driven as a family car, but there will be some off roading too. So, what would you recommend? Live in Northern BC, snow could be normal within non Winter season too :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Duratracs... You will not be disappointed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I'm considering Duratracs, the only thing I'm concerned about is vibration issue some people mentioned? My husband drives Duratracs on his TITAN and is struggling with some mysterious vibrations too (no one was able to sort it out), so I'm a bit reserved towards them....:scratch:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Toyo Open Country A/T2 - Load C
Probably not as good as Duratracs offroad, but awesome, for darn good A/T, on highway.
Recently drove 3500 miles in Equator and tires were great.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I also went back and forth between a few tires. On my Frontier I had 265/70/16 Firestone Destination A/T and loved them.

Now, since I got the xterra, I debated for months between an A/T or M/T when upgrading to 285/75/16. The deciding factor for me is the mileage I put on my X. I steered away from the softer M/T and just yesterday went with the Destinations again, just bigger.

My experience with them on the Frontier is they're great in snow/ice/rain and quiet on hwy. I'd recommend.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never heard anything about that before. Duratracs are very popular. does he have aftermarket rims with the duratracs on his titan? A a wrong rim/tire combo can give a vib . does it happen between 80-120 kph?
He bought his TITAN used, lifted with aftermarket rims and tires, had vibrations around 70 km/h. He got rid of those rims and tires and replaced it with Nissan steel rims and Duratracs and it happens once he hits 90 km/h now..Our Mechanic blames it on tires :-(

·
Registered
550 Posts
fellow bc'er here. I got the general grabber AT2 tire and I love them. they're quiet, good offroad, quite grippy and probably the best tires I've ever owned on ice (even though they're all seasons). I'm running them year round now and like them better than the BFG's I had before

·
Registered
867 Posts
I'll second the A/T3's. great tire especially for the price. I thing my c-loads were $149 a piece from treaddepot.com.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm also researching new tires for my wife's X. Our use sounds like the same as yours (family truckster). I'm leaning towards the Cooper AT3s or the Hankook Dynapro ATMs. I considered the General Grabber ATs (I have General Grabber HTMs on another vehicle, and am happy with them), but they are much heavier than the others considered. I don't want to worsen my already crappy gas mileage.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I have 60k on a set of Kelly Safari TSR, they have handled everything thrown at them, and would probably last longer if I did proper rotations.

·
Super Moderator
4,539 Posts
I'll second the A/T3's. great tire especially for the price. I thing my c-loads were $149 a piece from treaddepot.com.
Posted via Mobile Device
FYI - America's Tire/Discount Tire quoted me $140 ea. on 3/17/14 for the Cooper Discoverer AT3, LT265/75R16-C - beating the best price I could find online ($141) by $1/tire. With the Cooper $80 prepaid Visa rebate, that would bring the cost per tire down to $120 (+ mounting, tax, etc.). That is a great buy.

I chose to go with the Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx, LT265/75R16-E, which I got from America's Tire today (3/25/14) for $160/tire (+ mounting, tax, etc.) [Pics to follow when it stops raining.]

(Note: I initially wanted the LT 255/85R16 ST/Maxx, but at $237 ea. vs. $160 ea. for the LT265/75R16, I couldn't justify the additional cost for 0.35" in additional ground clearance.)

Although I think the "C" load rated Discoverer AT3 is better matched to the weight of an Xterra than the "E" load rated ST/Maxx, and in my opinion one of the best replacement AT tires for an all purpose rig, I chose the ST/Maxx for my particular application because I wanted the 3-ply sidewalls and more aggressive tread (lots of sharp volcanic rock and logging debris in my area). Also, the LT265/75R16 ST/Maxx is 32.1" in diameter rather than the 31.6" of the typical AT tire in that size, and the tread width is 8.45" rather than the typical 7.8". Weight is 49# vs. the 41# of the OEM P265/75R16.

I can't tell you much about ST/Maxx performance yet as I only have 20 miles on them, but my first impression is that they are great in rain and as quiet as the typical AT tire. The little tire noise I can hear is deeper in tone than the typical AT tire and more pleasing to my ear. Also, the ST/Maxx looks like an overlanding tire should look.

As for the Goodyear Duratracs, I hesitate to say anything negative about them because they are so popular on this forum, but in my opinion they are overpriced. Also, I am informed that Goodyear is no longer manufacturing them with 3-ply sidewalls (black letters one side/white letters on the other are 3-ply; black letters both sides are the newer 2-ply sidewalls.)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Im loving my Cooper ST/Maxx tires. They have been stellar on-road and have performed very, very well in everything from sand/sticky mud/granite/rocky trail/deep snow and on top of that, even going to a larger tire (33) vs stock, the ride is better and MPG has averaged out to less than 1mpg loss.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts