Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for some trails around Anchorage/Mat-Su valley area. Ive tried to look it online but all i can find is a bunch of tiny little ATV trails. I know theres gotta be some good riding out here, i just dont wanna roll up on someones property and get an unfriendly welcome lol.

·
on line
557 Posts
Thats the problem up here, lots of trails for 4 wheelers. Not to sure what is up that away.You have to watch were you go to, crossing streams or rivers if they think a salmon might have swam there at sometime you get a ticket. Can get permit for that though.Down here by me I have a couple mine roads I can go on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice! I had no idea you could get a ticket for that! I know there has to be some trails out here, maybe up toward wassila area. Mining roads huh? I road some fun ones out in Utah we even found a creepy old mine cave that was home to ALOT of bats haha we tried to e all manly but we didn't make it very far in before a bat took off and blasted right past our heads, needless to say we hightailed it for the entrance haha. Where are you at again?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
There are some clubs around the state but I have been mostly too busy to do anything or join any. There might be some trail info on this site:

http://www.matsuvalleyohv.com/vbforum/forums.php

Also just found this site but looks like you have to register to see anything:
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/index.php

The only off-road I've done up here was the Stampede Trail near Healy (just north of Denali) but it's where they take tourists in stock jeeps so it wasn't too exciting and I didn't go very far. It was extremely dry but when muddy there were plenty of side trails that looked real challenging. Being in school I can't afford to fix anything I don't have to tho so I haven't gone looking for trouble.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice, thanks for the links! i was checking out your pics, that healey trail looks like fun. Im not trying to do anything crazy just get off the road and have a little fun. im pretty much stock right now. But thats about to change :bounce:

·
on line
64 Posts
When I get back from my deployment we should get everyone in the Anchorage area to go riding!
Is there an AK group that anyone knows of?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trails...

Remember that Alaska is not the lower 48. The countryand ground is different up here,and that can be why there are limits on off-roading. It only takes driving a couple times in the same place on the tundra to change it forever. Once you break through that top mat, you're down into the soft stuff.

And yes, driving across salmon streams can definitely get you in trouble!:iconbiggrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts