Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a few people have 285's on their X. I was wondering what work needs to be done to fit a 285? Will they be horrible for the highway? I drive about 800 miles (1 way) on the highway atleast once every three months.

I was looking at the 285/75/16 BFG AT Ko's.

Thanks.

·
on line
142 Posts
If you are driving that much on the hwy, I'd get a skinnier tire. It will save you a lot of gas. There are a bunch of folks here that are running 255/85-16s and swear by them. Plus they are a still a little over 33" diameter like the 285/75-16s.

The mods are the same for both tires. Just a little action with a heat gun. Here is a How To.

http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2361

Z.

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mcampana said:
Why do you need tires that large? Just for looks?
I will not lie, I saw Spicoli's black Off Road with the 285's and I LOVED IT! I plan on getting tires and those look incredible. Obviously they will work well, it's all in planning right now though.

·
on line
564 Posts
mcampana said:
Why do you need tires that large? Just for looks?
It's the only true way to get the lowest part of the vehicle further off the ground...more ground clearance under the diff.

Here's one good argument for taller, narrow tires...
Tall thin tire linky

Rob

·
on line
29 Posts
I have 285/75/16 BFG AT's and I love them. My X rides and handles much better than with stock. No balancing problems. They're better off road and look fantastic. I wish I'd put them on the day I bought the X. Sounds like I kind'a like my BFG's doesn't it?

·
on line
48 Posts
I'm planning on running the 255/85R16 BFG MTs, love the look, need the traction!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts