Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I am new here and looking for some advice. I have a 05 off-road Xterra and I am looking to put some 17" wheels on her. What are some good tires that look decently mean, but are still realistic. Also, will I run into any trouble with rubbing or anything if I put 17's on?

Thanks a lot!

Shane H

·
Registered
461 Posts
You might want to check out prices on tires for 17 inch wheels verses prices for 16. They are probably still signifcantly more expensive for the same brand/model and outside diameter of tire.

·
on line
2,362 Posts
17" wheels will have NOTHING to do with tires rubbing. That will all depend on the tire size you put on the rim. I remember that 17s were a factory option in some years, or was that only of Frontiers?

I run 18" frontier rims. Picked the right size tire to keep the same overall height and everything behaves just like they were stock as far as clearances and even the speedometer.

As for what tread to run? That's worse then asking what's your favorite color. You will find what others like, but are you buying tires for everyone else, or for yourself? Will the tires even match how you will use the truck? Why would you just follow the crowd and get a tire that doesn't match how you use it? When you define how you need the tire to work and get a few choices picked out ask again.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
05-08 (4-spoke) 17" SE rims aren't very hard to find. 09-10 (snowflake) are pretty rare, and there is no stock 17" rim design after 2010 that isn't designed for the Titan (which means wheel adapter). Your best bet is aftermarket - the Vision Warrior (or a very similar model) is pretty close to stock offset.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have 17" Vision Warriors with 285/70/17 GY Duratracs

Not sure what the offset is but you can Google it.

Rubs a bunch, trimming required and melt mod required.

Ill stealth the rims later this year.

Sent from my HTC EVO with AutoCrash mobile app.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
05-08 (4-spoke) 17" SE rims aren't very hard to find. 09-10 (snowflake) are pretty rare, and there is no stock 17" rim design after 2010 that isn't designed for the Titan (which means wheel adapter). Your best bet is aftermarket - the Vision Warrior (or a very similar model) is pretty close to stock offset.
Titan wheels don't fit? Damn, I was thinking about getting a set of take offs.

I hate these Cooper tires and like the looks of their wheels.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The OEM 4-spoke wheels are made by Enkei so they are probably pretty solid wheels compared to most aftermarket options (i.e. strength and lower weight). I have the stock SE wheels (4-spoke) and was surprised to see the Enkei branding on the inside. I wasn't able to weigh them though.

Personally, I think they look kind of cool and unique, but that's just my opinion. :eek:ccasion5:

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Just my two cents (I have the 17in SEs), if you can - stay with the 16s. The tires are so much cheaper and there are far more options out there. Maybe other people had better experiences, but when I was buying tires for the MX the price jumps significantly from 16 to 17 inches wheels. So even if you want to get better looking rims or something, stick with the 16s. It will make your life so much easier.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Just my two cents (I have the 17in SEs), if you can - stay with the 16s. The tires are so much cheaper and there are far more options out there. Maybe other people had better experiences, but when I was buying tires for the MX the price jumps significantly from 16 to 17 inches wheels. So even if you want to get better looking rims or something, stick with the 16s. It will make your life so much easier.
^^X2!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Howdy,

I am new here and looking for some advice. I have a 05 off-road Xterra and I am looking to put some 17" wheels on her. What are some good tires that look decently mean, but are still realistic. Also, will I run into any trouble with rubbing or anything if I put 17's on?

Thanks a lot!

Shane H
why? what is there to gain?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts