Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

Joined a while back but I think this if my first post.

So I used to own an 06 2 wheel drive X and loved it. Traded it in to save $5k a year in gas with a 08 Civic. I sold the Civic to get rid of the debt and here I am today driving a 99 Explorer Sport 4x4 (it was 3,200 bucks and I needed a 2nd car, don't judge!) wishing I had and Xterra still. I plan on buying an X again (4x4 this time) once I get out of debt in about 5 years or so.

In the mean time I was hoping someone here could point me to some resources about off roading and especially modding for off road. I know next to nothing about working on vehicles and have never been offroading. Looking to learn some basics here to build off of.

Thanks.

·
Registered
822 Posts
This site. By far the most useful resource for Xterra upgrades and offroading. Some of the other X and nissan sites are great too but I find just about everything on them came from here and visa versa.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Google is your friend.
Yes. Very helpful.....

I was thinking maybe the people here would already know where to find some GOOD sources of info instead of using Google and hoping for the best.

I've googled a bit already, but I'm looking for starting place for the basics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This site. By far the most useful resource for Xterra upgrades and offroading. Some of the other X and nissan sites are great too but I find just about everything on them came from here and visa versa.
Yeah I really enjoy this site and checking out the builds.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Not really sure what you are looking for. Its such a general question encompassing almost the whole site.

Off-roading:
Technique
gear
tips and tricks
places

Modding:
How to start modding? - Um grab a wrench change your fluids.
Try this? - don't have an X to try it on.
There are a huge list of How-To's to get you going, but without an X, its hard to 'Get going'

What are you looking for. I'd be happy to point you in a direction just need a heading.

This comes off as **** and I know, but we're not really sure what your getting at if your planning a 5 year timeline before you can even try things.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Seems we're not hitting the mark. Are you looking for info on the act of offroading like the driving and planning or places to go or specifically how to build up an X? I'm expecting an "all of the above" answer haha. If thats the case, check out the lift options sticky for info on what type of Xterra lifts there are. Find a club in your area and make some new friends.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/buyers-guide-reviews/off-road-tire-lift-kit-guide.aspx
Some basic knowledge here for a quick read.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not really sure what you are looking for. Its such a general question encompassing almost the whole site.

Off-roading:
Technique
gear
tips and tricks
places

Modding:
How to start modding? - Um grab a wrench change your fluids.
Try this? - don't have an X to try it on.
There are a huge list of How-To's to get you going, but without an X, its hard to 'Get going'

What are you looking for. I'd be happy to point you in a direction just need a heading.

This comes off as **** and I know, but we're not really sure what your getting at if your planning a 5 year timeline before you can even try things.
Yeah I see what you are saying.

Like I said I know nothing about working on cars (changing the fluids myself is actually a good suggestion).

I guess I am wanting to learn more about suspension/lift. Such as how it works, what different types of suspension/lift there are.

I suppose I could just watch the forums and ask the dumb question when I want to know more. Just hate to interject in someone else's post to ask a question.

You are probably right, a lot of want I would want to know would be better served with hands on experience.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seems we're not hitting the mark. Are you looking for info on the act of offroading like the driving and planning or places to go or specifically how to build up an X? I'm expecting an "all of the above" answer haha. If thats the case, check out the lift options sticky for info on what type of Xterra lifts there are. Find a club in your area and make some new friends.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/buyers-guide-reviews/off-road-tire-lift-kit-guide.aspx
Some basic knowledge here for a quick read.
All of the above, yeah haha. Sorry guys! I just love the Xterra, and am super stoke about getting one again even if it takes a while.

Thanks for the the link CRMW07. Looks helpful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Ricel.

That'll get me started.

Yeah I don't like to take the word of one Expert. I'll like to verify info from multiple sources if possible.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So looking under the "General Xterra" section I found a sticky called "4 wheeling tips and tricks" with a link to: http://xterra101.com/index.htm

Seems like the site is pretty old (a lot of broken links to pictures) but still had some info on the basics and some very general how to's.

Surprised the search feature didn't give it to me as a result.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Also, don't be shy about picking up a few magazines here and there ... or just reading issues in one of the bigger bookstores or even a library (don't just sit and read in an independent, though; if I go into one of those kinds of stores, I usually try and buy the issue I'm interested in).

"Peterson's 4-Wheel and Off-Road" is one of the good ones, as is (*gasp* ... *shock*) "JP" ... they both often have good articles on gear and mild builds. They also have some of the more hardcore stuff, but don't let that intimidate you. Xtreme4x4 (the show from Spike TV) used to put their back episodes online (www.powerblock.com), but I don't know if they still do ...

At this point, since you're still a ways off from getting started, I'd say just be a sponge ... when you're ready to get your feet wet, a basic mechanic's tool set (can be had for ~$100) will let you start doing your own preventative maintenance, even on the Exploder. ... then you can just start growing from there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts