Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite a while back I saw a thread where someone had attached military style web belts (or something similar) in the rear cargo area, above the wheel well, to allow for mounting bags and such for storage.

I have spend over an hour now searching for that thread. Any one know who that was, or where the thread might be?

I'd like to do something similar to my X, as we camp in it often, and I need more storage space for small items.

·
on line
6,064 Posts
Rainlger makes some nets that could be used for the attachment of pouches. Found this off of google, this what you were talking about?
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36214

You can also make your own using Footman's loops. Requires drilling into the plastic of the cargo area. Provides a sturdy loops for the molle straps to thread through. I've done this, if ya look through my build page you should find em.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Yup I did make an aluminium panel with a MOLLE fabric panel that fits over it and the entire unit was pop-riveted to the C and D pillars.

The build thread is here..

A couple of months ago I, um, drove my truck into a rock and mashed the rear quarter panel. I had to remove the MOLLE panel so they could do the repair. It was VERY solid and actually difficult to remove.

I'll be re-installing it later this week.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Slick Rock Trail damage:
:p

Molle panel installed (from the build thread):

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Rainlger makes some nets that could be used for the attachment of pouches. Found this off of google, this what you were talking about?
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36214

You can also make your own using Footman's loops. Requires drilling into the plastic of the cargo area. Provides a sturdy loops for the molle straps to thread through. I've done this, if ya look through my build page you should find em.
Thanks Blain, that might be what I saw. I thought someone had riveted the web belts to the plastic of the cargo area. Your work looks more flexible though.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you maybe thinking of the Raingler Shelf net? That attaches above the wheel wells and you can store things on top of it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
No...that's not what I saw. This looked like the same type of strap material riveted horizontally above the wheel wells to allow gear to be attached to. In all likelihood, it was Blain's build I saw, and got the picture mixed up with a description from something else.

·
on line
6,064 Posts
Thanks Blain, that might be what I saw. I thought someone had riveted the web belts to the plastic of the cargo area. Your work looks more flexible though.
Anytime! I like the window idea and want to do it eventually.

I do remember seeing someone else who did something similar to what your talking about though. I just can't find the thread on it.

·
on line
6,064 Posts
Yep, that is it. Thanks. I searched for a couple of hours and could not find it. How did you stumble across it?
It took me a while and just the right combination of words into google before I finally found it. I recalled seeing it before so it helped a little to narrow it down. Mission accomplished
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Blain,

You have a different way to mount stuff to the sides. With XterraCanuck's method, it just needs some holes in the plastic and rivets, and the webbing of course. How are your metal loops connected to the cargo wall (it was hard to tell from the picture)?

·
on line
6,064 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts