Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a hard time finding any real helpful info anywhere but here. I see the fan favorite here is the Wrangler Duratrac. I am having a hard time finding them in stores and am not sure that it is the right tire for me. I am sort of leaning towards the wrangler series but am open to suggestions
situation:
I am driving about 650 miles a week and will be doing so from Iowa to Missouri through some rough weather this winter. I am also an avid outdoorsman so I am looking for something good in rain ice and snow and also above average for some light offroading. I realize the mileage is a lot so I would like a smooth ride when on the HWY. The thought that these tires will only last over a year is Okay because I get mileage through work so that will pay for them. I don't want to slip in slide in rain and snow like I do now. What would you suggest??
Thank you very much, Joel:notworthy:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am getting the Wrangler Duratracs in a few weeks and I am going with Tread Depot.com because they have the wheels I want too so I can get them as a package deal. TireRack.com also has them in stock for roughly the same price. I am going from the BFG KM2 that I love to the Wrangler since it’s not as aggressive as the mud terrain, more affordable, should track less while driving and will give a better on road ride, this decision came since the majority of my driving is to and from work. Not sure if you have read any online reviews but it seems for every positive one, there is a negative, regardless of the tire you pick. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As for the Duratracs. No website will recommend them with my vehicle because it is a 265/75.R16 and my vehicle calls for 265/70/R16 yet there are lots of people using the 75/R16. I guess this is a non-issue?

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Most tire retailers discourage the installation of non-OEM sizes because it can affect the vehicle's speedometer and odometer (not to mention potential drivetrain stress at extreme sizes) - just their way of keeping their asses out of being held liable for any adverse affects of the installation of non-standard tires.

265/75/r16 is the listed stock size for an OR or PRO-4X Xterra; other trims have the 265/70/r16 listed (or 265/65/r17 in the SE's case).

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
The Duratrac is a very good all around tire. I have The Kelly Safari TSR which is almost identical(Kelly is owned by GY) and have over 45k on them, still have about 50% tread left. Good road manners, a little hum but not bad, been great offroad. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Kelly again.

·
Registered
575 Posts
For use described, I would choose one of these three -
Toyo Open Country AT2
Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor
Michelin LTX AT2
Those were the 3 that I narrowed it down to for my similar needs - got Toyo because easy and available at the time - I really like them - smooth and quiet on pavement, handle well at high or low speed, excellent in rain, as good as any tire I've had on snowpack and ice, (sure dedicated winter tires better but I'm not going through the change twice a year) and are great in medium snow and mud ( heavier lug like duratracs probably better in deep snow and mud).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your input! I chose the TOYO Open Country AT II. $656.00 shipped to my installer from treaddepot.com. Maybe I will get some pics up and a brief review after I get them on.

·
on line
352 Posts
Please do Tiger!

I have the Firestone Destination AT's now, which are excellent tires. However, my next tire will be the Toyo Open Country AT 2's -- they have great reviews and they look really aggressive without sacrificing on-road performance so im sold.

Looking forward to your photos

·
on line
515 Posts
Firestone Destination ATs - ran them before, but now they have gotten expensive. Great tire. General Grabber AT2s - heavy, great off-road traction, poor ice and snow traction. Get super-loud (above the norm for an AT tire) as they wear.

Now I run Hankook Dynapro ATMs.

Quiet, excellent snow and rain traction and great looks. Inexpensive.

I have Cooper AT3s now simply b/c that is what was on the truck when I bought it used. They are quiet and get good grip in the dirt and mud. Can't talk about snow/ice yet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm a high mileage freeway commuter in SoCal and the KO AT has been great for me. Pretty quiet for an aggressive looking AT, smooth ride, handles well, and very little wear after 25,000 miles so far. Its a pretty heavy-duty rated tire that I imagine has affected my MPG (although I've never actually done the math).

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Just got Falken Wild Peaks A/T a couple of weeks ago. 50k mile rated and unbelievably quiet on the highway. Haven't been off road with them yet, but was out in the monsoon rains with them last night and they performed well in the wet.

·
on line
102 Posts
Just had a set of Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx (265/75/16 E) put on last week. LOVE them so far. Previously had BFG AT KOs for 65k miles. Got the Coopers for same price as BFGs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts