Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I found this board and was hoping you all could help.

I'm shopping at possibly buying an 07 Xterra and was wondering how their reliabiliy is.

I will not be off roading, just need it for getting through some heavy snow we get up here in Canada sometimes in the winter months. I've heard the diffs can be weak and possibly the transfer case?

Not sure if this weakness will apply to my driving since it will be onroad mostly - driven in 2wd for most of the year and only 4wd when the heavy snow falls.

thanks all in advance for you input/help.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
not sure about what t-case issue you are talking about, but the diffs will only be an issue offroad. 4wd in the snow will likely not cause a problem. it has to do with not having traction and suddenly getting traction on the front wheels.

if the X wasn't a reliable vehicle you can bet none of us would have one. i have 45k on mine and i've had no issues so far. others have a lot more miles than that without issue.

·
on line
1,206 Posts
The X is an awesome vehicle and will be very reliable for you. The whole front diff scare is nothing to worry about unless you are doing some pretty heavy off roading. Buy it, you wont regret it.

·
on line
704 Posts
For what you want to do, there is not better vehicle than Xterra. It is cheap, reliable and it will get you through tough weather. Differentials break and problems exist, but it seems to be limited to a group of enthusiasts. Don't believe us? Read Consumer Reports. That publication rates vehicles for soccer mom audience and Xterra is a recommended car.

If I lived in a cold climate my only complaint would be the lack of the cold weather package (heated seats, heated mirrors, heated wipers, etc.) You can get some of these things installed.

·
on line
14,014 Posts
willgr1 said:
not sure about what t-case issue you are talking about, but the diffs will only be an issue offroad. 4wd in the snow will likely not cause a problem. it has to do with not having traction and suddenly getting traction on the front wheels.

if the X wasn't a reliable vehicle you can bet none of us would have one. i have 45k on mine and i've had no issues so far. others have a lot more miles than that without issue.
x2, I'm at ~64k miles and no issues!

·
on line
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, sounds like they are reliable and should work well for what i need it to do, and god know i love the look of these things!

A few more questions:

I have also heard the stock BFG Longtrails are pretty crappy in rain and snow - what could i upgrade to?

Where could i get the cold weather package stuff?

What kind of mileage are you guys/gals getting in normal driving?

thanks all for the input!

·
on line
1,744 Posts
As a stock tire they are OK for the road and work ok in the snow, mostly b/c of the traction control system I mentioned in the Canada section. For a replacement tire I'd go for the BFG AT. A bit more expensive but has an excellent snow rating. I'd wear out the stock tire first (that's what I'm doing) For mileage the best I've seen on the highway (summer) was 545km. That was about 15km after the low fuel light came on. Normally I think I see 450km mixed city highway and regardless of season. I can't say I really pay attention to it other then in the most general sense so if it is out of wack then I know there is an issue.

·
on line
148 Posts
CanadianX said:
As a stock tire they are OK for the road and work ok in the snow, mostly b/c of the traction control system I mentioned in the Canada section. For a replacement tire I'd go for the BFG AT. A bit more expensive but has an excellent snow rating. I'd wear out the stock tire first (that's what I'm doing) For mileage the best I've seen on the highway (summer) was 545km. That was about 15km after the low fuel light came on. Normally I think I see 450km mixed city highway and regardless of season. I can't say I really pay attention to it other then in the most general sense so if it is out of wack then I know there is an issue.
i think it would be better to sell the tires right away and get what little money you can get from them to get the AT KO. why ride around on a crappy tire waiting for it to wear down so to get a good one. take the money you can from any sucker willing to buy them. Another great tire i just bought where the Courser Mastercraft At2, cheaper than the AT KO and work great.

·
on line
42 Posts
I'm in snow all the time here and I would recommend you look at a different tire than the BFG AT KO's. I bought them based on all the hype here and have found them to be one of the worst tires I've had in snow. They are great on dirt and mud but I am quite surprised how often I have problems with them in snow. Hell, my old 2000 X had Timberline AT tires and it performed better in the snow than my new 05 X with a locker, ABLS, and BFG's. I will certainly look for a different tire when these get low on tread.

·
on line
552 Posts
I just bought one. I only have a week with it so my opinion might not mean much but i think you will really enjoy it!!!

Right now you can get a brand new 4x4 Xterra auto power everything for well under 22,000 thats a pretty slick deal imo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts