Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to take my sliders off for a little maintenance this morning, since I've noticed a fair bit of rust forming on the bottom of them from rock chips.

I'm under the X loosing the bolts on the slider, and I look up and see this:

WTF IS THAT?!

So I pull it out, and here it is in all it's glory:

Basically, a ~6" metal rod!!

And it was JAMMED in there. I mean there's no way to get it in there without it either being:
a) Intentionally jammed in there, the way you might try to pop a tire (but..why would anyone stab a wheel well?)

b) Most likely - Last summer when we drove the Trans Labrador as part of a huge road trip, there was one point when all of a sudden the TPMS came on. I jumped out of the X and there was a massive gash in that tire..it deflated within a couple minutes.

Anyways, when I finally got to the next town and had a tire guy look at the tire he said the only thing he could think of was that I hit a really sharp, large piece of metal to have torn the tire the way it did.

So I'm thinking I hit this metal rod, the tire kicked it up and it jammed itself into the wheel well - and hasn't moved since.

I can't believe I haven't seen it until now, but as you can see in the first picture only maybe 1-2" was sticking out and it was up in the top of the wheel well - how often do you look at that?

On another note, my sliders look great with a fresh coat of bedliner on them now :)

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You did make sure to fill that hole once you pulled it out? You don't want road crap and possibly salt getting inside and eating the metal from the inside out.
Well, it's just the plastic fender that was pierced, and I live in a non-salted road area...but good call, I'll patch it up with something.

·
Registered
88 Posts
By the way, what bedliner paint did you use on your sliders? Want to paint mine but I'm still undecided what brand is best.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By the way, what bedliner paint did you use on your sliders? Want to paint mine but I'm still undecided what brand is best.
I actually bought some bedliner from Harbor Freight called "Iron Armor" or something like that. Comes in a white spray can. They just started carrying it and...man it's AWESOME. I've used it on a few things so far and I think it's the best I've used yet. I actually picked up a couple more cans to spray a few other areas of the X with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts