Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
on line
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as some of you have read, i was looking for a replacement for the xterra for better upgradabilty and stock off-road capability. I test drove a 4 door wrangler, not impressed with the motor. slow as a slug. that is a show stopper for me... i am too spoiled by the xterra. and, jeep seems to think highly of the wranglers because there are no rebates etc and they are pretty pricey as compared to the X.

i need 5 passenger capability with the occasional 6th person who sits in the cargo area.... yeah i know it isn't exactly safe but it's ok for as much as i do that.

the only vehicles that come close to what i need and want and doesn't cost a fortune are the xterra, fj cruiser, wrangler 4x4.

I just looked at an fj cruiser at a local dealer and i am not too impressed. looks and feel cheap (metal seems thin) and stuff underneath seems to be just asking to be torn off. The xterra's belly is so much more cleaner and tucked away. I can't see how all the reviewers put fj cruiser above the xterra. and, they are kinda high on their prices and they only had 1 4x4 cruiser, the rest were 4x2's!

i went down this path because i was concerned somewhat about clearance underneath and breakover angle when i start wheeling a little. i first thought about upgrading the X like some of you have but it seems if I do, my warranty is voided automatically and with the front diffs being so fragile, i don't want to do that..I have emailed corporate nissan concerning this and am awaiting their response. I mentioned to them that their marketing scenarios of the new xterra in action and look appealing but i am concered about bottoming out etc in those situations and want to put a minor lift on the truck...

SO now, i am I guess stuck with the X only because nothing out there seems much better. Not for the purposes I need the truck for and for what i want it to do for me...I can't see spending more money on a second 4x4 to trick out with all the goodies.. Money doesn't grow on any trees in my neighborhood...

What are everybody experiences with lifts and dealers acceptance of said lifts when it comes to warranty claims???

thanks...

·
on line
896 Posts
from what I have been reading here, it seems like it depends on the dealer you ask. Some say doing anything to the trucking including air freshener :)laughing6:) will void the warranty, but others have that that adding spacers and shakles (what I have) won't void anything. So I would just ask around and see what they say

·
on line
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
about shackles and spacers, i read that the topgunz are way easier than the others and don't require you to disconnect ball joints or anything like that, you don't even take the coil out... is that true? and the shackles seem like they'd be pretty easy.... if i can do those two things, maybe i can install them, and just take things off if i ever have a diff/tranny/engine go out.. the dealer told me motor mounts will go bad withg a susp lift..... i can't see how.. thoughts???

anybody have a howto for the topgunz spacers AND shackles for the rear???

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Well i dont know about the top guns but if you look in the How-to section im pretty sure they have the coilspacer/shackle lift in there. If warranty is your concern you could always fork over the extra cash and have the dealer order the parts and install them for you. I believe that one of our members did that, and the dealer even warrantied the lift.

·
on line
13,467 Posts
SEARCH! SEARCH THE SITE!

You do have to take out the upper ball joint, you do have to take out the entire coil over, to put on the top gun spacer. But i have to say its easy. Not a hard job to do.

I am confused though. You post and post and post about how you will rarely offroad. Yet you continue to try to find another vehicle. Go get a toyota land cruiser, it will fit like 8 people, and you can ake it offroad, but the trails will have to be really wide.

On the top guns. I dont think i did a how to on them. But enough people have used them, just do some searching.

·
on line
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xterra is perfect for me with another couple inches of lift... an land cruiser is like 50gs..... Don't want to spend that much on a vehicle....

i have searched the site and can't find a how to....... the top gunz custome site says these install in under an hour....... i would like to know the details of the install before i commit though...

http://www.marketworks.com/storefro...il.aspx?sid=1&sfid=57603&c=702220&i=172587736

·
on line
13,467 Posts
Silver, i have actually helped a few guys over the phone with the top gun install. An hour? Maybe for the second side you do. The first side always takes longer, like 3 or 4 hours, seriously. But anyways. If you wanted to talk on the phone in the next couple days about it, just shoot me a pm and ill give you my number and i can tell ya the ins and outs of the whole set up.

·
on line
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the offer. i'd like to read over the steps so i know what i am getting in to.. anybody have the instructions that come with the top gunz??

thanks..

·
on line
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So i went to topgunz spacers and looked at the pic of the installed spacer and then i looked at the nissan service manual and removing the shock/spring seems fairly basic and doesn't mention the removal of ball joints etc:

COIL SPRING AND SHOCK ABSORBER PFP:56210
Removal and Installation EES001QE
REMOVAL
1. Remove the wheel and tire using power tool.
2. Support the lower link using a suitable jack.
3. Remove connecting rod upper joints from stabilizer bar using power tool. Refer to FSU-5, "Components" .
 Swing stabilizer bar down, repositioning it out of the way to access shock absorber lower mount.
4. Remove the shock absorber lower bolt and nut using power tool.
5. Remove the three shock absorber upper mounting nuts using
power tool.
6. Remove the coil spring and shock absorber assembly.
 Turn steering knuckle out to gain enough clearance for
removal.
INSTALLATION
Installation is in the reverse order of removal.
 The step in the strut assembly lower seat faces outside of vehicle.
 Tighten all nuts and bolts to specification. Refer to FSU-5, "Components" .
 When installing wheel and tire, refer to WT-7, "Rotation"

so if that all makes sense, i can do that....fairly quickly i think.. Now as far as the rear, I read somewhere on here that shackles in the rear would fit the bill.... I guess I will re-read MC's write up to see if it makes sense. He did his with daystarts which are different than the top gunz in that daystars require all that ball joint monkey business... does anybody disagreee??

thanks in advance...

·
on line
3,262 Posts
EXcept with the PRG/calmini/daystar spacers you need to take the entier strut out and turn it around... I dont think you have to do that with the Top guns spacers. (I could be wrong but just by looking at the way they are designed i dont think you have to).

And remember the lower shock mounting bolt is a major pain.... make sure you have a good sized breaker bar.

·
on line
962 Posts
yeah, breaker bar.

I wish someone had told me about those before I started.

After 2 hours of painstaking labor, I went and bought one because my local auto store recommended one. It's a great tool that i keep in my truck with me at all times with a wheel hex adapter so i can pull of my tires i need to.

The bigger the better! Mine is like 2 and a half feet.

·
on line
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I big and strong and me have big breaker bar

:)

I've cracked off some serious rusty bolts from my 14 year old bronco (at the time) with very little problem.....

thanks for the warning though and it seems to be that these spacers may be something for me to investigate further and I need to also see what i need to do for the rear to make it match the front...

·
on line
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So i don't need to remove the ball-joints, that was just for the uca swap right???

·
on line
2,072 Posts
I thought the same. You can get the strut out with out disconnecting the ball joint. but after the spacer is bolted on, there is no way to get the strut back into the coil bucket and the lower connection for the strut. I tried to do it and it was not possible. I just usd a hammer with some solid blows from front to back and the joint pops out.
The prg instructions detail this as the way to do it.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
Dude, its a lot easier than your making it out to be. Basically jack up the truck, take the wheel off, pop off the ball joint with a BFH, take out the strut, add spacer, reinstall strut, rebolt the UCA to the knuckle, put tires back on. Thats as simple as it gets. Use this if you have to, yes its on a Frontier and yes its a PRG spacer...but its all the same:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8560

BTW, FJs suck. Unless of course your a middle aged woman with kids that need to be taken to soccer practice and a list of groceries to buy. :)

·
on line
129 Posts
I have the Daystar lift. And upon installing, noticed that my '06 X with 35000 miles on it, had a tear in the upper ball joint boot. The dealer covered the tear, replaced the entire upper control arm, and that is with the lift and 33" tires, NO QUESTIONS ASKED.. or comments! I have to say. I went in there looking to defend myself and the lift.. but didn't have to! Was very pleased.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts