Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of AC coils, AALs, and shims from 2NDX. While looking for a set of replacement shocks/struts I decided on the longer Rancho 9000x for the rear but was looking for another solution for the front. After some research I came across a set of struts that have 30mm greater stroke than stock. It seems to me that these won't significantly change the ride height since the springs and weight of the truck determine that, but that I'll gain increased articulation since the current struts are limiting spring extension. Is this the right way to think about it and are my conclusions reasonable? I've already ordered the struts but will cancel the order and stick with the stock height Ranchos if the new ones will create a problem. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Don't treat this as gospel, but I think with longer front struts you'll end up hitting the coil buckets without TC UCA's.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
B Slater said:
Don't treat this as gospel, but I think with longer front struts you'll end up hitting the coil buckets without TC UCA's.
This may be true... but if you stay with factory length struts they probably wont last very long.

Take some advise from me.... I had the AC coils up front with the rancho 9000 (factory length) struts. I took them off to put on the radflo coilovers (excellent upgrade). I planned on selling the already mounted struts on the AC springs to anyone on this board who might be interested.... But im not going to any more!!! These things look like they are ten years old. The struts are rusted and deformed (from being overextended i assume). And one of the springs seems to be bowing out a little bit (like it is compressed too much, or not compressed evenly). If anyone has the AC coils I highly recommend taking a very close look at how your struts and springs look. And keep a close eye on them because it just seems like there is something not right about this setup.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
B Slater is right on! You will get contact.
Also, inquire about the valving on the new shocks... not sure who you're getting them through but make sure you're NOT getting something that's valved for an F-350 or something wacky like that and just happens to be the correct length for the Xterra.
The Radflo coilovers from PRG are valved specifically for the X.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
This is an aside - The last two posts are why I love this board. You can't ask for better advice, and truthful advice! Thanks guys

·
on line
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. I should have put in my original post that the struts are the Old Man Emu from ARB. They are listed for the Pathfinder and Frontier/Navara. A guy from down under put them on his Novara and reported more wheel travel and no contact so I'm hopeful. The X is slightly lighter than the others but the addition of a Shrockworks bumper w/winch and a set of sliders should make the weights pretty close. These struts are brand new and according to ARB they've not shipped any to anyone in the U.S. yet though they have them in their U.S. warehouse. I think that I'll take one for the team and go ahead and get them. If they work well with the AC coils then this is a much more affordable alternative to the PRG or AC coilovers with Total Chaos UCAs. If they don't work out then I can always unload them on ebay and start over.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
A guy from down under put them on his Novara and reported more wheel travel and no contact so I'm hopeful
I remember reading about that over on clubfrontier a while back; don't know why i never brought them up... guess lack of availability.
OME has a good reputation in expedition and general offroad so you should be good to go... and yeah, the valving would be the same as the X.
Did you go through ARB directly or did they give you a distributor to get them from... either way pass on the info for others and let us know how the install and ride are once you get'em!

·
on line
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you go through ARB directly or did they give you a distributor to get them from... either way pass on the info for others and let us know how the install and ride are once you get'em!
I ended up ordering them through my local 4 Wheel Parts store, though it took several calls to them and a couple to ARB since the struts didn't show up in the catalog. I was originally quoted $190 each but ended up at $140 each, about the same as the Ranchos.

I will definately post my results and impressions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts