Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be deploying for +/- 9 months and will have my 2008 X in a non-climate controlled garage. I've read that a vehicle sitting for that long could cause flat spots on the tires. I recently put on new all-terrains so I'd like to avoid that.

So, my question is: is it safe/smart to put the X on 4 jack stands for 9 months? I would use 3-ton jack stands. (http://www.amazon.com/Torin-T43002A-Double-Locking-Jack/dp/B00026Z3E0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415068609&sr=8-1&keywords=jack+stand)

I've read conflicting suggestions about the use of jacks for a long period of time.

Thanks!:eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Trust anyone with the keys?

Id be scared to leave it unattended for so long on Jack stands.

Also dont forget to disconnect your battery if you do leave it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The battery suggestion is a good one. You'd likely need to replace it upon your return otherwise.

Another option regarding the tires is put it on jack stands and take the tires/wheels off. Store them off the vehicle with no load. Just a thought.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Nitrogen will not help with flat spots on the tires. I see nothing wrong with jackstands. Lift it just enough for the tires to clear the ground. If for whatever reason it did fall off, it wouldn't fall far.

Battery tender if you can.

Get some damp rid for the interior.

Clean it well and wax it before you park it.

Mothballs and insecticides as needed around the garage.

Is there anyone that could at least start it every 3 weeks or month to help keep things lubricated? If so have them kick on the a/c or defroster to help keep seals etc. oiled and compressor lubricated.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just air up the tires closer to the maximum rated pressure. Modern tires shouldn't develop flat spots.
Use a battery tender on your battery, and if possible hang a light bulb either inside the vehicle or in the garage on a timer. Keeps moisture out by warming up the interior just enough.
Poison is a good idea too if the space is accessible to critters.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=42

Newer tires resist flat spots from short term sitting. Long term they are still susceptible to permanent damage.

I wouldn't be putting a lit unattended bulb inside a vehicle even if on a timer. That is asking for trouble. Hanging one in the garage won't do anything for the interior of the vehicle.

A Car cover probably isn't a bad idea either.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Also when it comes to rodents I'd do traps outside the vehicle, rather than poison. You dont want them dying inside the car anywhere.

·
on line
2,233 Posts
Jackstands will be perfect. Put some stabilizer in the gas tank, do an oil change, drive it one last time and set on jackstands. Plug in a battery tender. If the coolant is old and going corrosive, change it now. If it is bad it will keep eating metal the whole time it is in storage.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
I will be deploying for +/- 9 months
Be safe in your travels.

And THANKS for your service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sometimes let my jeep sit for a couple of years on the tires, and never suffered any problems. I would make sure tires were inflated properly before storing. I would be more worried about making sure gas was either treated or non-ethanol, also put out some rat poison. My biggest problems storing a vehicle, have arose when rats have gotten in and made nest. They like to chew wires.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Nitrogen will not help with flat spots on the tires.
Sure will. Nitrogen doesn't expand and contract like regular air does. Your tires will stay properly inflated throughout the seasons and you won't get any flat spots. I've been on active duty for over 8 years and been on a lot of rotations over seas and never had a problem with flat spots. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Guess it depends on the tire. I have nitrogen and let the car sit for 3 months and had some pretty bad flat spots. They cleared up a bit, but never completely.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Mine sits for up to three months, outside in the hot desert sun. No thump from flat spotting at all, not even for a few minutes.

Nine months is not really long term.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
  • Wash and Wax.
  • Mothballs / dryer sheets if you can around the garage. If not a couple in the cab and in the engine are good.
  • Put a rag in the tail pipe and in the airbox inlet. (Basically seal off favorite rodent entrances.)
  • Fill gas tank to top, add fuel stabilizer, run Xterra enough to get stabilizer through the system.
  • Battery Tender if you can. If you can't disconnect and remove battery, store inside. NOT on concrete.
  • Jack stands can be used to take the pressure off the tires. But leave the tires on just in case.
  • Lastly, PUT A NOTE ON YOUR DASH... listing all the steps you took to store, so you can remember what you need to do before starting it. Also inspect the engine bay prior to start for any nesting / rodent dropping etc.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts