Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Xterra's Nickname: Blue Dinosaur

Make: Nissan
Year: 2015
Model: Xterra
Trim: PRO-4X 5AT
Color: Metallic Blue

__COMMENTS__

Purchased as second owner in June 2017 at 39000 km (24000 mi) at a Nissan in Gander NL and drove back to Ottawa ON (~2500 km).

Daily driver plus occasional light adventuring and mobile photo studio. No rock-crawling or heavy offroad. Most planned mods are purely for shifts'n'grins! :iconbiggrin:

__MODS__

Exterior
[+] Hood deflector (by first owner)
[+] Window deflectors x4 (by first owner)
[+] 16" rear wiper
[+] 24"/21" front wipers
[+] Locking roof box handle
[+] LED bulbs: tail, brake, turn (Diode Dynamics HP11 with VLEDS 3-ohm); front markers (DD 194 HP5); backup (MaXTERRA)
[+] Rear hatch struts 175-lb (McMaster-Carr 2x 9416K28 + 4x 9416K76)

Awaiting installation

[*] MaxGear rear bumper w/tire carrier (MaXterra)

[*] Gobi ladder (passenger, SW-compatible)

[*] LED replacement lights - fog, overhead offroad (Diode Dynamics)

Planned
[o] Front side markers as turn signals
[o] Navara power folding mirror with turn signal
[o] Fender flares (front at least)
[o] Sliders/steps
[o] Custom front hidden winch mount w/recovery points and push bars / grill guard
[o] Winch (synthetic line)
[o] Custom roof basket/rack
[o] Wrecker lights
[o] Hood vinyl blackout

Removed
[-] OEM side steps
[-] OEM mud guards
[-] OEM receiver hitch

Interior
[+] Raingler ceiling net (mesh)
[+] Bike fork mount in utilitrack
[+] Custom rubber cargo mats (DIY)
[+] Dash cams front & rear (Blackvue DR750S-2CH Cloud with Cellink B battery)
[+] Custom rear window MOLLE/PALS panels - transparent!
[+] WeatherTech liners (front & back seats)
[+] Diode Dynamics LED ceiling dome / map light bulb replacements
[+] Assorted NcStar MOLLE/PALS pouches for custom rear window panels
[+] Rogue-style flip key fob

Awaiting installation

[*] Raingler front seat barrier net

Planned
[o] Rear hatch MOLLE/PALS panels
[o] Cordless phone charge pad?
[o] Bully Dog?
[o] On-board air (mostly for my bike)
[o] HUD / night vision system?
[o] Rear hatch interior release (possibly with remote key fob release)
[o] Fire extinguisher
[o] CB radio

Removed
[-] OEM rubber mats
[-] Door open chime

Suspension/Driveline/Brakes
[+] Rear axle breather vent extension

Planned
[o] Timbren Active Offroad Bumpstops
[o] ~2-inch lift (front coilovers + UCA, rear leaf + extended length shocks)?
[o] Rear diff cover
[o] Better brake pads!

Engine/Underhood
[+] "4.0 V6" engine cover (souvenir from my 2009 Frontier!)
[+] Hood struts

Planned
[o] Additional battery capacity for accessories & power outlets

Wheel & Tire
Winter
[+] Spridertrax 1.5-inch spacers on the stock OE wheels. Included melt mod.
[+] Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 265/75-16

Summer
[+] Pro Comp 7089 wheels
[+] BFGoodrich KO2 LT265/75R16

__PHOTOS__

First pic, in Gander NL (at crash site of Arrow Air Flight 1285).

South Brook, NL.

Fort Lawrence, NS.

Arrival home in Ottawa ON to meet the Frontier (2009 SE-V6 4X4 6MT).

Added interior bike mount and custom DIY rubber cargo mats. Floor hatch opens without hitting the bike! :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Love the blue.
I initially wanted the dark red to replace the Frontier, but couldn't find any to buy, and thought maybe I wouldn't like it as much on the taller Xterra. Was also interested in yellow but they're like finding unicorns! I really like the grey and was shopping those until a blue one happened to pop up. I think it's grown on me since then! :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Installed engine cover

A souvenir from my 2009 Frontier will live on in the heart of my 2015 Xterra :salute:

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wheel spacers and MOLLE pouches arrived

Some new toys arrived today. A mixed set of 6 NcSTAR MOLLE pouches in "urban grey" to match the interior. And a set of Spidertrax 1.5-inch wheel spacers.

I didn't plan on wheel spacers. I've been leaning toward a set of Pro Comp 7089 wheels for my summer set, and the stock OE wheels for winter. Before spending on the Pro Comps and committing to fender trimming, I needed to see what it would look like first. So I bought the spacers to simulate the Pro Comp offset. If I like it I'll probably keep the spacers to use with the OE wheels for winter.

I better budget for new wheel bearings...

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
New interior LED lights (Diode Dynamics)

My new interior LED lights arrived today from Diode Dynamics. Relatively easy install, and quite a bit brighter upgrade than the ZheKing ones. :)

In pic:

• 2 large warm white units on the left (for my dome lights)
  • 1 large red unit on the top right (for front map light for night vision)
  • 1 small warm white unit at bottom right (for front map light but not blindingly bright)
I like the spring-loaded festoon socket adapter that lets them fit any socket size. Also liking the free window decal! :)

The large ones have a double-sided sticky pad on the back to hold them in place. I simply trimmed off the portion of the backing needed and left the rest covered so they weren't dirt magnets.

Update: The festoon part of the large red panel in the map light wiggled loose so it wouldn't turn on. May need to find better way to hold it in place so it doesn't pop out of the contact tabs.
Update 2: It was a defective spring adapter with a loose connection. Diode Dynamics is sending a new adapter to replace it (the LED panel itself is fine).

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rear window MOLLE pouches added

Assorted NcStar pouches I bought from ColonelMustard.ca.

From left to right:

• folding dump pouch
  • EMT pouch
  • water bottel carrier
  • water bottle / accessory pouch
  • large utility pouch
  • another folding dump pouch
All in "urban grey". Cdn$101 all-in, shipped! :)

All have snaps on the attachment straps. They worked okay on the relatively thick polycarbonate panels (3/16 inch), but I'm expecting some might unsnap once they're loaded up.

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What are you going to do about the passenger mount Gobi ladder blocking the backup camera?
Dunno, really. I hardly ever use it. Somewhere on here someone posted pics of the camera view with the ladder installed. It's not completely blocked. If it's good enough I'll just leave it. If not, might re-mount the camera. I already have a rearview dash cam mounted up by the 3rd brake light, so I could possibly just wire that camera into the back-up camera system instead.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wheel spacers installed + melt mod

Added the Spidertrax wheel spacers today. Maybe 15 mins per wheel including cleaning the hub, etc. and applying some anti-seize. The stance with the spacers looks so much better now! :)

The meld mod for the front was a royal PITA though! I'm still on 265/75s so only needed a wee bit, but I did as much as I could as planning to get 285/75s later. Was just very slowing going with the heat gun and then getting it to hold position after. Easily spent over 2 hours just on the melt mod. Was tempted to just cut the plastic fender liner out entirely! :angry5: I couldn't move the plastic liner very much before hitting metal behind it. Anyhow it's done, and have about 3/4 inch minimum clearance now. It's better on the driver side. I can see 285/75 will def require a bit of metal trimming, but mostly on the inside/bottom of the fender where it's not visible.

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Someone was just trying to give you a flip-door mod to match the new key :laugh:
That sucks, though, hopefully it is an easy fix.
Right? UGh. After close inspection today it's looking up though! The frame and hinges appear to be where they should be, and the flex appears to be in the door itself right at the hinge attachment bolts. Working out some ideas to readjust it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Attachments

·
NewX’er 4life
2,518 Posts
Added the Spidertrax wheel spacers today. Maybe 15 mins per wheel including cleaning the hub, etc. and applying some anti-seize. The stance with the spacers looks so much better now! :)

The meld mod for the front was a royal PITA though! I'm still on 265/75s so only needed a wee bit, but I did as much as I could as planning to get 285/75s later. Was just very slowing going with the heat gun and then getting it to hold position after. Easily spent over 2 hours just on the melt mod. Was tempted to just cut the plastic fender liner out entirely! :angry5: I couldn't move the plastic liner very much before hitting metal behind it. Anyhow it's done, and have about 3/4 inch minimum clearance now. It's better on the driver side. I can see 285/75 will def require a bit of metal trimming, but mostly on the inside/bottom of the fender where it's not visible.
What I did is heat the plastic up so that is is malleable (as you did) then jam a piece of wood between the tire and liner with a hammer. Then you don't have to hold anything as it cools and can move to the other side.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What I did is heat the plastic up so that is is malleable (as you did) then jam a piece of wood between the tire and liner with a hammer. Then you don't have to hold anything as it cools and can move to the other side.
Yeah did that as well, had a small lumber pile in there. Was still a pain. I should have just gone directly to trimming the inner fender like I'll need to do anyhow (for 285s on an offset wheel), and then I probably could have just pulled the plastic liner back and riveted into a new position.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pro Comp 7089 rims

My score from Black Friday / Cyber Monday. Installing next spring with the summer tires (TBD).

They're not the sturdiest looking wheels (check out that tiny wall thickness between the lug holes and the centre bore), but they sure is pretty :D

Attachments

·
TNX Veteran
3,837 Posts
My score from Black Friday / Cyber Monday. Installing next spring with the summer tires (TBD).

They're not the sturdiest looking wheels (check out that tiny wall thickness between the lug holes and the centre bore), but they sure is pretty :D
Theoretically there should be no force on the lugs when driving, but I hear ya, that few MM of thickness doesn't instill a lot of confidence either way haha.

What finish is that? They do look pretty good.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts