Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
Joined
·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It bothered me right from the start that my new 06 X didn't have either a fuel filler door with an interior latch or a locking gas cap. The other day I noticed that Courtesy Parts in Texas sells a locking gas cap made by Stant:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CP&Product_Code=10508_N50

The Stant part number is 10508, and it is the threaded type:
http://stant.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=202&location_id=170

I called a local NAPA store, and they had one in stock, and quoted $33 CDN.

I went to my local Lordco Auto Parts and bought one there. On the phone they had quoted $27 CDN, but they sold it to me for $22.61 CDN(before taxes).
 

·
on line
Joined
·
132 Posts
Hey mate,

Yeah that's about what I paid for mine as well. $26 US at the local Kragen. Don't you guys call it Stumpy's or something up there? Anyways, the peace of mind you get from knowing that kids can't pour sugar down there and blow ur investment out of the water is priceless. In fact, i recommend this to be EVERYONE'S first mod.

Safety first gents. :drunken:
 

·
on line
Joined
·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dpatton said:
It bothered me right from the start that my new 06 X didn't have either a fuel filler door with an interior latch or a locking gas cap. The other day I noticed that Courtesy Parts in Texas sells a locking gas cap made by Stant:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CP&Product_Code=10508_N50

The Stant part number is 10508, and it is the threaded type:
http://stant.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=202&location_id=170
Does anyone know of a locking gas cap that works properly on the Xterra?

Twice my Service Engine Soon(SES) light has come on, and both times it has been caused by the Stant gas cap. It's not that it was loose - just that sometimes, the X "doesn't like it".

I talked to the service department at a dealership the other day, and they had looked into the aftermarket for locking gas caps, and had got some of the Stant caps, but they say they don't work properly with the Xterra. Apparently they may work just fine for periods of time, then the SES light will come on. When the dealership read the code from my X the diagnostic came up as 'large evaporative fuel loss'(or something like that) which in English means 'something wrong with the gas cap'.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
551 Posts
I've never had any luck with any locking gas cap. from losing keys to not unlocking. I'd rather take my chances, though a inside release or locking door would be nice.
So has anyone ever see a locking door for the Xterra?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Dude I login in my computer today with intentions of getting one of those and I figured I would read thenewX before shopping. I am glad I did.I will wait for a fix now
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,361 Posts
now someone just has to figure out how and post the mod on the how to lock the fuel door. :brilsmurf:
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,484 Posts
Magic Rat said:
I've never had any luck with any locking gas cap. from losing keys to not unlocking. I'd rather take my chances, though a inside release or locking door would be nice.
So has anyone ever see a locking door for the Xterra?
I can do and I have the parts and where you can get the locking fuel door. I just am not too sure I want to do it. You see, when gas was up, locking did not matter, people were taking two oil drain pans and they poke a hole in your tank with like an ice pick, it drains into pan, they switch and pour with the full one while other fills, got you empty in no time. So I was thinking just leave em siphon it. Then I have a good tank. No a skid does not make it 100% poke proof for stealing. MC
 

·
on line
Joined
·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dpatton said:
dpatton said:
It bothered me right from the start that my new 06 X didn't have either a fuel filler door with an interior latch or a locking gas cap. The other day I noticed that Courtesy Parts in Texas sells a locking gas cap made by Stant:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CP&Product_Code=10508_N50

The Stant part number is 10508, and it is the threaded type:
http://stant.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=202&location_id=170
Does anyone know of a locking gas cap that works properly on the Xterra?

Twice my Service Engine Soon(SES) light has come on, and both times it has been caused by the Stant gas cap. It's not that it was loose - just that sometimes, the X "doesn't like it".
OK, time for an update - the Stant cap may work after all.

I called Stant and spoke to the 'applications guy'. He confirmed that Stant makes the OEM Nissan fuel cap that comes with the Xterra. He also checked the specs for the OEM cap against the specs for their 10508 locking cap, and they are the same.

He said that it's not unheard of for an 'aftermarket' cap to cause a problem with the SES light, but that it happens rarely, isn't specific to Nissan vehicles or the Xterra, and is the fault of the particular cap. He suspected that my cap was a "leaker".

The Stant caps have a one year warranty, so I went back to where I purchased mine, and exchanged my original Stant locking fuel cap(10508) for a new one. I will post an update sometime in the future about whether or not I have any further problems. The fellow at Stant said that if I have a problem with this second cap, he will arrange to send me a 'known good cap' that has been tested in their factory. I'm hoping that won't be necessary :)
 

·
on line
Joined
·
132 Posts
Ok, as the only other owner of this locking gas cap, I have to defend it. It's worked perfectly and I have not noticed any lights come on because of it. That fuel leakage thing scared me but I've noticed my average mpg is around 15 city, maybe 19 highway. It's hard for me to know for sure until I get my scangauge, plus I also have an extra 120 pounds with the a/v equipment.

Overall, good product. The one negative though is if you lose your key you're f*ed up. That happened once and I almost ran outta gas, luckily I went back to the pad found the spare and got gas. Later I found the key in a random pocket somewhere. Now I attach the fuel key to my keychain.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
22 Posts
Locking gas caps

Hey Guys,

I have the Stant locking gas cap on my Xterra. I got it from Courtesy Parts, as they are a Nissan dealer. It has worked w/no problems since July.

However, keep the old one in your X if you live in the NE or Canada. I had a Stant locking gas cap on two other vehicles and in the winter, the locking mechanism will freeze. Its a bitch to get it off. If the weather gets really cold, I switch back to the non-locking cap.

Nothing worse than standing outside your vehicle freezing your nuts off, in dire need of some petrol, and you can't get the cap off. The de-icing stuff might work, but avoid the situation, keep the old one. Just my two cents...

fastbrake
 

·
on line
Joined
·
132 Posts
Re: Locking gas caps

Fastbrake said:
Hey Guys,

I have the Stant locking gas cap on my Xterra. I got it from Courtesy Parts, as they are a Nissan dealer. It has worked w/no problems since July.

However, keep the old one in your X if you live in the NE or Canada. I had a Stant locking gas cap on two other vehicles and in the winter, the locking mechanism will freeze. Its a bitch to get it off. If the weather gets really cold, I switch back to the non-locking cap.

Nothing worse than standing outside your vehicle freezing your nuts off, in dire need of some petrol, and you can't get the cap off. The de-icing stuff might work, but avoid the situation, keep the old one. Just my two cents...

fastbrake
that's real.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dpatton said:
I will post an update sometime in the future about whether or not I have any further problems.
It's been 6 months, and I've had no problems with the Stant locking fuel cap :)
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,891 Posts
When you guys put in the locking gas cap, did that plastic thing that attaches to the OEM gas cap come of the OEM one and just snap onto the locking one? I would look but I'm on the other side of the world right now. Also I see that some of you had some problems, where as others have not, what is the consensus on this? Did the SES light stay on for you with the locking cap or not??
 

·
on line
Joined
·
255 Posts
I used to use spray de-icer to unfreeze the lock.

Now, for several winters, to prevent the lock from freezing up, I started inserting(spraying) liquid graphite into the lock mechanism. It has worked for me with temps down to around -10 below zero.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top