Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
on line
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went off-roading today for a few hours. On two occasions, the 4WD-LO setting could not move us (steep hill, loose dirt), but after engaging the rear locker, we crawled up without a slip. It was amazing. I am so glad we got the OR version with the rear locker. I guess the point here is that if you are going to off-road a lot, it might be wise to buy the OR model, versus the more popular S model.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
The X has been my first vehicle with a locker. It's hard to exaggerate its usefulness. When I first started wheeling in my X I stupidly backed into a deep rut, resulting in one front wheel way up in the air and, obviously, one rear tire in the rut with almost no traction. Everything was up to the one rear tire on solid ground, since the front was useless. No locker, we didn't move an inch; locker engaged, we drove right out. One second my grilfriend was bracing for a rollover; 10 seconds later she wanted to do it again on purpose just for fun.

Sometimes I hear (and our manual warns) that an on-demand E-locker like ours might not engage when you're already that hung up, but mine did no problem. And that's just one story.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts