Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i was wheeling with a couple buds and i was going up a kinda steep rocky hill... no prob right? i had it in 4hi, had the lockers engage like your supposed to and everythings cool.. half way up the hill my tires started to slip and spin there BFG Rugged trials with 25k... i didnt think about it much,, all i did was go back down and hit it with more speed... got up fine this time, kinda.. the guys at the top were like dude turn your lockers on.. this confused me cuz the lockers WERE on.. apparently only one of the front tires was spinning and also one of the back tires i thnk cuz dirt only shot up on one side? anothre ? tho.. as i was going up, there were a couple deep pops and clunks from the front end..
i guess my quesstions are

1)if my lockers were on, WHY were my tires spinning INDIVIDUALLY with the lockers ON in 4hi

2)what could the popping be?

·
on line
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gotcha my bad... isnt it true that the rear locker only works under 4 mph or something obserd like that?

·
on line
1,479 Posts
teX-TERRA said:
gotcha my bad... isnt it true that the rear locker only works under 4 mph or something obserd like that?
Yea, and only in 4LO. Stop the truck. Put it in Neutral, switch to 4LO and wait for the 4LO light to stop flashing. Then switch the rear Lock switch on and wait for the rear lock light to stop flashing. Sometimes you have to move forward a little for it to engage. If the light is flashing it's NOT engaged.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
DBAX said:
ETA- nevermind, I was in High School once too..
Oh hell no! You can't retract that. Because he is in high school is exactly whey he needs his ass chewed!...LOL...... :happy11:

·
on line
230 Posts
teX-TERRA said:
ok so i was wheeling with a couple buds and i was going up a kinda steep rocky hill... no prob right? i had it in 4hi, had the lockers engage like your supposed to and everythings cool.. half way up the hill my tires started to slip and spin there BFG Rugged trials with 25k... i didnt think about it much,, all i did was go back down and hit it with more speed... got up fine this time, kinda.. the guys at the top were like dude turn your lockers on.. this confused me cuz the lockers WERE on.. apparently only one of the front tires was spinning and also one of the back tires i thnk cuz dirt only shot up on one side? anothre ? tho.. as i was going up, there were a couple deep pops and clunks from the front end..
i guess my quesstions are

1)if my lockers were on, WHY were my tires spinning INDIVIDUALLY with the lockers ON in 4hi

2)what could the popping be?

If you were in 4HI the locker never came on, only works in 4Low. Popping was the ABLS likely, though when you blow the crappy rear end it makes a popping sound that can seem like it is coming from the front.

·
on line
331 Posts
lloyd your comments are always so helpful

·
on line
358 Posts
You have to be in 4Lo. The locker (when stock, no mod) only works in 4Lo. Take it out and try it before you need it. It takes some learning. Try it so you know how long and how it in engages. The locker light will stop flashing. There is good info in the manual on the locker.

·
on line
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys thats what i needed to know..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts