Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Locker Engagement Time?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  lj1983 
#1 ·
I was testing the rear locker the other day and had a heck of a time with it engaging. It literally took 2-5 minutes.
I believe I was following correct procedures: shift to neutral, foot on brake, shift to 4 lo, moved foward a few feet after 4 lo engagement, neutral again, foot on the brake, and then hit the locker switch and wait. And wait..
Light flashes , and it does finally engage, but the time appears to be extraordinarily long.
I have tried it with a cold and warm outside temps (10 and 40 degrees) and both times with the vehicle warmed up.
Normal or a dealer fix?
TIA

#3 ·
Yep. Follow the engagement procedures. Move forward ever so slightly and it will synchronize. On rare occasions, I've had it lock while I was still in neutral. I know it's a bit of a dance but you'll get the hang of it after a while. Actually, I have a harder time getting it to disengage but it's still no big deal. Just take it slow.

#4 ·
Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot the way you described.
For some reason, I had it in my head that I had to wait for it to engage before moving. And of course the manual is such a big help in this...

#6 ·
Worked much better today by using the method above.
Now if it would just disengage as easily.
Ah no big deal: all these new fangled electronics take a while to get use to.
And I'll try turning the wheel to see if that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.