Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I attempted to tackle this relatively simple task this afternoon. I read this schematic..(https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzR...NiOS00YmUwLTk1N2EtNDMwZTg4NTViMjhh/edit?hl=en)..many times and finally went for it once I thought I had it down well enough to avoid any issues.
The first time, it went really well. So I had thought... I followed the directions and used the butt connectors and splices where it said I needed them and I so I put everything back together and boom...nothing happened. The locker light doesn't come on, nor does the locker engage. I unplugged the negative on the battery just to be careful, but I'm sure that has nothing to do with the issue. These pictures will give a pretty thorough explanation of what I had done. This is a fairly long write up, but should show exactly what I've done, so please bare with me! I'm stuck, and need help!

Here is what it looked like after I had completed everything on the schematic and got it plugged in and taped up.

So after this was done, I plugged in the DLCU, connected the battery, and started the truck. I waited a little while, then put it in neutral and hit the locker button. Nothing happened. So I left the button on, and pulled forward, then backwards. Still no light, and still no click of the locker engaging. I even went as far as driving in circles going forwards and in reverse. (Don't worry I was in gravel when doing that)

After all of this, I pulled everything apart and went over EVERYTHING I had just done. Both splices, and both butt connectors were rock solid. Here is basically every step on the schematic I did in the following pictures...

I used these, and electrical tape. Pretty straight forward...

I cut wires on Pin 9, Pin 11, Pin 12, Pin 20, Pin 21, & Pin 22

Capped all of the connector side wires except for Pin 22

Spliced the connector side of Pin 22 into the wire in Pin 1

Spliced the connector side of Pin 11 into the ground (Pin 3) (THIS IS WHERE I WENT WRONG! Make sure you splice the vehicle side, not the connector side)

Connected the vehicle sides of Pin 9 and Pin 12
(Photo was after I pulled off the butt connector)

Connected the vehicle sides of Pin 20 and Pin 21
(Photo was after I pulled off the butt connector)

Capped off vehicle sides of Pin 11 and Pin 22

I even counted, and recounted to make sure I was using the correct wires/pins

Here's what I'm left with.

Locker still no worky at all... :scratch: Any Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
HAH! I'm an idiot. :withstupid: Found the problem already... The first time looking at the schematic after posting that. I mixed up the vehicle/connector sides on Pin 11 to ground the locker solenoid. That might explain it. I'm going to go fix it, and hopefully that should take care of it.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rookie mistake haha here's the finished product...

I went and tested it out, worked like a charm. Almost instantly the light came on, and when I turned it off it unlocked and the light turned right off. I must say, after a few cookies in the gravel, I'm pretty excited for some sand or snow... Anyways, fixed the problem. This is all just a learning experience...:iconbiggrin:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This could almost be used as a "how to"... I know before I started this I was a little intimidated because wiring is not my thing, but really, it's a 30min deal and is super easy to do (especially if you make sure all of the wires are following the schematic) This might be a little tough if you're a bigger person. I'm 5'7" and 145lbs so I fit alright down there, but there's not alot of room to work with.

Anyways, hopefully someone finds this helpful. I know if there was a how to with pictures when I went to do it, then I would have not been as hesitant to go for it.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can someone explain for us noobs what this accomplishes? Thanks!
It allows you to use the locker in 2WD/4HI/4LO instead of just 4LO. It also engages faster and the light turns solid instead of blinking for a while. It will allow you to basically control the locker more than you previously could.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I am having the same problem. same symptoms. gonna need to look more into this fix tomorrow morning with fresh eyes and after a few hours of sleep. so if i understand what you had to fix was to splice the grey wire to the black one ( from the vehicle side) and everything worked afterwards

subscribing to this thread to be able to have the pics and information for tomorrow

cheers

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks for bringing back this old mod which definitely would be a great addition to the X's capability. I have undertaken to do this on my '12 . All went smoothly except it toggles into e-lok on in 2wd and 4wd in neutral/park ,putting it in gear makes the light go out. also when switching to 4w lo even in neutral the locker light goes out. will check it all again in the morning,, too many mosquitos right now!

Anything come to mind about what I could have wrong... BTW had this all working as it should then wrapped it all up in electrical tape .. clearly something came loose. not a big fan of these connectors. Thanks again to the guys that sorted through the schematics originally to make this happen.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
so...just outta curiousity........

like those of us that did a locked axle swap, why not just cut the wires at the harness on the rear diff, then run new wires directly to a switch you put in the dash? Ya get the same result - enable the locker anytime you want.

seems to be a ton easier than tapping all those wires into that harness & what not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.