Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
i just bought a cb for the x and i need to buy everything else. i am new to the cb world and any advice on antenna size,type,brand etc.. would be much appreciated and also is there a good local shop to buy the cb equipment i need.

thanks,
dan
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Hey Dan, there's a great shop up at Johnson's corner just North of the Truck Stop and there's another one at the Sapp Brothers by the old Stapleton. I believe there's one at the Truck stop in Wheat Ridge at I-70 and Ward Rd.. I'd go with a Firestik also, if I see you this week end look at mine.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
I'm a fan of whip antennas ... but they can sometimes be unwieldy on the trail (they're often long).

I used a shop called SBS Electronics back in 2010 when I was having a devil of a time getting my antenna sorted ... they were awesome to work with. Saga here: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27997&highlight=cb

I dunno if they're still around (Google Maps says closed or relocated ... :dontknow:), but they're up in Wheatridge off of 70 on 44th. Give 'em a call and see if they can get you an appointment to sort it all out ... assuming they're still in business.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Hey Dan, there's a great shop up at Johnson's corner just North of the Truck Stop...
I 2nd this. The shop is run by a father and daughter who know a whole lot about cb setups and are always willing to give advice to newbies (one thing you may not get from a truck stop cb shop). One warning is that they can sometimes be set in their ways and a bit stubborn with their opinions, but overall they're good folks.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Firestick is extremely overated. Go with a magnetic roof mounted one for best reception and transmition range.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I 2nd this. The shop is run by a father and daughter who know a whole lot about cb setups and are always willing to give advice to newbies (one thing you may not get from a truck stop cb shop). One warning is that they can sometimes be set in their ways and a bit stubborn with their opinions, but overall they're good folks.
Where exactly is this shop? I'm not sure where Johnson's Corner is.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i actually stopped by high country 4x4 just to look at some of the stuff in person and one of the guys working there used to be a trucker and was very helpful and not pushy at all. i wanted to do more checking before just buying stuff and end up regretting it. i am also trying to find the best location to mount it. i know higher is better for range but worse for the trees. i dont want to break it the first time on the trail but i also want the thing to work well.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
1,449 Posts
i am also trying to find the best location to mount it. i know higher is better for range but worse for the trees. i dont want to break it the first time on the trail but i also want the thing to work well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Here is what I had at one time on my silver OR:

I saw it on Remy's X and he told me where to get it. I got it online from Wilson Electronics for about $20. You would have the secure the front of the antenna so it doesn't bounce on the roof rack.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
stopped at the cb shop at Johnson's corner and they were very helpful. they got me all the materials to install the cb and showed me where the second best place to install it was (first was on the roof). they also told me once i installed everything i could come back and he would tune it better for me. overall great customer service. thanks guys for the recommendation

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
stopped at the cb shop at Johnson's corner and they were very helpful. they got me all the materials to install the cb and showed me where the second best place to install it was (first was on the roof). they also told me once i installed everything i could come back and he would tune it better for me. overall great customer service. thanks guys for the recommendation
Glad it worked out for you Dan..

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i got it all mounted up and working. seems like im picking up alot of people from the south. had one guy from georgia that wouldnt shut up. what channel do you guys usally use?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i was able to stop back buy "the CB shop" next to Johnson's corner today and they tuned my antenna for me real fast and i was on my way. I give them an A++++ for customer service

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Based on your experience there, he's got my business as well. I'll be swinging up there next month to get my CB gear.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts