Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally gotten around to install the transmission that I pulled due to leaking from the bell housing. It ended up being a bad torque converter bushing, and torque converter. I had a shop replace the front seals, pump seal, bushing. I purchased a remanufactured torque converter, filled it with a quart of maxlife and installed the transmission.

There was such a racket when I started the vehicle but I initially attributed it to the exhaust that wasn't attached, primarily, the cats. I've finished bolting the exhaust up, and I'm worried about what I am hearing. I've taken a video, here is the link:

I do remember that during installation, the torque converter felt kind of tight as I was bolting it on to the engine.

Any ideas? I'm a little worried I messed something up during reinstall.

·
on line
2,591 Posts
Pretty common drivewaly mechanic mistake. Torque convertor not seated fully into the transmission. The torque convertor should not be tight. With the nuts off it should be loose. The convertor should have had play in it to the point the nuts pull the convertor into the flex plate. If the convertor wasn't seated all the way into the front pump this will be a problem. Typically it destroys the front pump in the transmission. Installation error, the person who installed the transmission didn't get the convertor seated correctly into the transmission and didn't catch the error as they installed the transmission into the vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
P
Typically it destroys the front pump in the transmission. Installation error, the person who installed the transmission didn't get the convertor seated correctly into the transmission and didn't catch the error as they installed the transmission into the vehicle.

The engine hasnt run gor more than 5 minutes, does the pump get destroyed immediately?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, so I dropped the transmission, again, seated the torque converted in correctly, jacked it back up, and while bolting on realized that the torque converted slipped forward. Moved it back again, and reseated the torque converted, yet again, measured, 1" depth from bell housing, and CAREFULLY jacked it back up, measured again, and bolted everything together.

So, loud screeching is gone, but I hear a ticking that I believe is coming from the bellhousing area, wonder if this is a textbook sound of something obvious for you that actually know what you are doing. Is this the sound of a cracked flexplate, busted pump, something else? Nothing to be concerned about?

Below is a video from this morning, there is a rattling sound that is a exhaust clamp that is just hanging, btw, and I focus on that at in the end of the video

Any help is appreciated, this has been a time consuming and mistake prone project.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts