Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have someone from clubfrontier to thank for getting the ball rolling on this. The people at Mad 4 Wheel Drive, who do high end axle design and fabrication, have started to design a drop-in D44 front diff for the Frontiers and X's. Some of the frontier guys got together and found a junkyard diff and some CVs to send to them.

I talked to Larry, the guy overseeing the project. They are at the point now where they need a rig for about an hour, so that he can take some photos and let his engineers take some measurements. He needs to figure out just how much room he has to work with to mount these new diffs, specifically on the passenger side, and where the mounting brackets needs to go.

It sounds like this is really coming along. He talked about a new CNC'd diff housing and new CV shafts. He already has a shop working on the new CV shafts. He claims this will be high strength stuff, capable of handling 37s and will definitely be a bullet proof setup on 35s.

Anyway... if somebody has time to swing by there that would be great. Call their shop and ask to speak with Larry in advance. He did make reference to a "fridge full of Corona" in the shop, and even offered to throw some dinner at the volunteer because it saves him from having to rent a truck. Maybe he/she could also volunteer to be the test rig once the proto stuff is ready to go.

There were supposedly 1 or 2 Frontier guys who volunteered to do this, but it's been several weeks and nobody has called or shown up.

They've got a pretty cool website;

http://www.mad4wd.com

9965 South Ave
Poland, OH
330-549-9082

·
on line
107 Posts
New front diff

Speaking of USMC - why don't we all nominate him to donate his truck to the project? I believe he lives in Cleveland which is not too far from Poland, OH (which is close to Youngstown).

He (as did I) ran out of things to buy from Jim at Shrockworks! A bullet proof front diff. that is proven is needed by many! USMC, show us your Xterra patriotism! :cheers:

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Well, probably because he is never home.

"They are at the point now where they need a rig for about an hour, so that he can take some photos and let his engineers take some measurements. He needs to figure out just how much room he has to work with to mount these new diffs, specifically on the passenger side, and where the mounting brackets needs to go. "

No ones getting anything. They want to just look.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Larry has had my front diff and a cv joint for a few months now using it to get measurements.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
I don't know, but they were also going to do some other things with it while they had it.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Because I swapped mine out when I did the locker install.

Linky

·
on line
107 Posts
New Front diff

Just spoke to Larry at Mad4x4.

He is still waiting to get a truck. He is going to call someone in OH that left a number (probably mcompana) to get a truck to take some measurements and ultimately do a fit job.

He is looking to build a kit solution for us using a Dana 44 and new custom (high strength) CV shafts. He is not sure how much room he will have, and where the cost will end up. We will have all kinds of LSD, locker, and spool options (not necessarily all available directly from Mad4x4) but available none the less!

This is a side project for Larry and he thought that within 2 months we should have something available, barring some problems in getting custom CV shafts made. I told him that there are number of us who have experienced the fragile Nissan front diff. 1st hand, and would like to remove that worry.

Once this is ready, I'm sure SexTerra will be happy to spend more $$$ on his X to make it the ultimate IFS next Gen . . . . :blackeye:

I hope I can afford it too! :bounce:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts