Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was under the truck this afternoon and noticed a little black electrical looking box in the fender well behind the driver's rear tire. What is it? I couldn't seen any distinguishing marks.

Thanks

Steve

G

·
i think i saw that under there today when i was washing mud from undercarriage. i think its a weight for vibration dampening, like the ones taken off when you install your shrock sliders.

i might be wrong, i didnt investigate too closely, just glanced at it.

im sure dan will chime in here in about 3, 2, 1...

·
on line
3,217 Posts
You talking about this?
. That controlls the lights for the trailer as you have two wiring harness connections for the lights.

·
on line
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, that's it. I saw the electrical connectors and thought they were for trailer lights but couldn't see where the box and connectors were, well, connected, for lack of a better word.

Thanks.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Not a problem.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
One of these days we will stump you!

·
on line
295 Posts
Silly me when I saw this I thought you were talking about the "Black Box" that resords your speed etc. The one the cops and insurance guy will try to bust you with.

I'll look at this one. For me it should be connected as I have a trailer hitch.
Thanks for the pic.

·
on line
178 Posts
We have off-duty Gwinnett Police do our security at the office and one of the guys is a fatality investigator and I asked about the black box in my 06 X. He said that that Nissan owns the data in the box and that they so far have not allowed most PD's to access their black boxes. So you bought and paid for the X, but you do not own everything on it! I saw the data that a Chevy BB provided and it was 9 pages. The speed from .05 secs to the impact in .01 intervals. It tells if the selt belts are clipped in, if any of the doors was ajar, position of the car in vert. and hor. angles. Even the tire pressure and gas pedel pressures. Very cool.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Welcome to the club. :wave:

·
on line
178 Posts
Dan, your sig on VAXC and Xterra Firma brought me here and I am in your debt for it. I love all the info I get from here, VAXC and XF! Thanks!!!

·
on line
44 Posts
sorry to vent. black boxes might be cool in public transports, but in my vechicle, recording what i do just pisses me off the same way with a rev limiter(top speed ) i bought the darn thing pay for maintenence, insurance blah blah cant go over 110mph wtf? yet i can go buy a crotch rocket no rev limiter no black box dont have to wear a helmet(ohio) and carry a passenger. going 150mph+ this makes no sense to me. thank you big brother ps air bags suck put schrockworx bumpers front and back u dont needem my .....02

1 - 12 of 12 Posts