Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to rip on Nissan but to gather all the info and see if there are common threads to what ails the X, does anyone care to list problems they have had?

I've had four issues.
1) Pass mirror rattles at hwy speed - replaced under warranty (RUW)
2) Lock Diff will not disengage - rear axle complete RUW
3) Fuel seding unit fails - RUW
4) Steering Column bearings fail - RUW

All before 25000km. All resolved without a hassle. I'm now close to 40km and everything is running perfectly so I'm pleased.
The only lengthy repair was the rear axle - 26 days

So everything has been shaken out since, with a 8000km trip from Edmonton to Moab to Chicago and back to Nova Scotia. No more problems.

·
on line
230 Posts
1. Extreme Bottoming
2. Hood Rattle/ Squeak
3. Blown rear spider gears
4. Leaky battery and trashed connectors
5. Bad set up for rear break line, trashed by spare tire rubbing
6. 100% 4x4 failure 1 time
7. Dozens of flats with the flat trail T/As
8. Silly low air buzzer
9. Trim pieces/ shopping cart guards pealing off
10. Leaky pinon seal.

NONE fixed by Nissan, except pinon seal.

·
on line
735 Posts
1) extreme bottoming out in the rear- Purchased and fabbed custom Timbren bumpstop solution out-of-pocket.
2) Bottomed out hard on the front end in the desert near 29 palms. front strut damaged- pair repl under warranty.
3) brake pedal rattle/squeak- nissan found and corrected under warranty.

nothing has really failed on mine- just broken by yours truly. I drive it like a car 98 percent of the time, hence the lack of a long laundry list of issues. no electrical gremlins, good economy, and pretty much nothing falling off of the truck- I believe I have a "good one". I'm waiting to see if they upgrade the front drive at which time I will trade up or purchase the parts as an upgrade.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
1) bottomin out(ordering bumpstops)
2) squeeky aal(FUW)
3) power windows not working(FUW)
4) loose steering wheel(FUW)
5) leaky oil pan(FUW)
6) stipped roof bolts(not fixed yet)
but still love my X

·
on line
1,208 Posts
Rear hatch window 100% shattered while driving alone on a highway in Oregon, 4 days after i drove it off the lot. Not fixed under warrenty, didnt get repaired in time, and had to drive from boise idaho to sierra vista arizona with contractor grade plastic duck taped to the hatch.

No other problems as of yet.

06 X model.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: -My '06 , OFF-ROAD has a little less than 9000 miles and I've used it for OFF-ROAD, I don't drive it for other reasons (99% time) --

--There have been NO problems in/out 4wd and it does not BOTTON out , even when I pull my (small) trailer--

--Now I won't take it in MUD and I've been in stream crossings , usually 2 to 14 inches, some snow last year--

---I'm very happy with it and I treat it with respect--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
122 Posts
--There have been NO problems in/out 4wd and it does not BOTTOM out , even when I pull my (small) trailer--
You know, I loaded my OR up Thursday with quite a bit of weight (boxes of books, approx. 250lbs) behind the back seat area, and I purposely hit dips, bumps, railroad tracks, etc. and could not get any contact, is this condition existing only with certain models/years?

·
on line
1,638 Posts
-Engine belt squeal.

-Front windows creak and pop when you roll them down.

-It is a b*tch to get into the rear seats b/c of the rear wheelwells.

·
on line
707 Posts
-Engine belt squeal(FUW after a bit of fighting with the dealer)

-Keyless Entry would sometimes lock sometimes unlock(FUW after finding a
dealer who could figure out how to fix it)

-Squeaky rear hatch(fixed by yours truly after the dealer said it was due to the excessive weight I put back there and not covered under warranty)

Love the X but to be honest have missed the fit and finish and zero problems of my old Tacoma(access cab not big enough for family).

·
on line
82 Posts
Zero real problems with my X. It came in with a trim piece that was cut up. That was replaced by the dealer. CD changer broke, replaced under warranty.

I think this thread is going to attract a lot people to blow up about problems they've had, people that have a reason to bitch are at least 10 times more likely say something than people who are content. Every vehicle ever produced will have a few roll off the assembly line with some issues. Including Toyota. I've heard they are having some major issues with the anti-lock brakes on the new Tacomas and could be having a major recall.

I'd rather deal with a problem with my rear diff than have my breaks go out unexpectedly in the middle of busy city streets.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
no problems here.... of course i have replaced alot of stuff early on in the X's life.

But i dont have any of the regular annoying window rattling, hood squeeking or leaky seals.

Lucky me!!! now both my diffs will probably blow when I get my truck back on monday. :blackeye: :blackeye:

·
on line
576 Posts
VDC malfunction-FUW after 5 trips to the dealer and a printout of the of the XOC thread about the problem.

Squeaky drivers window and door-FUW

Blown rear shocks-FUW

Rear bottoming out recently as I think the leafs are starting to sag a bit.

Haven't taken it out off road much since moving to Guam as the places here are all clay and mud. The off road guys have Jeeps on 5" lifts and SAS Nissans, Toyotas, etc. running minimum 35" tires.

·
on line
704 Posts
1. Have to tilt the steering wheel several degrees to the left in order to keep the car straight. Started on day #1.
2. Blown diff.

·
on line
381 Posts
07BlackOR said:
--There have been NO problems in/out 4wd and it does not BOTTOM out , even when I pull my (small) trailer--
You know, I loaded my OR up Thursday with quite a bit of weight (boxes of books, approx. 250lbs) behind the back seat area, and I purposely hit dips, bumps, railroad tracks, etc. and could not get any contact, is this condition existing only with certain models/years?
:confused3: what???? i have an 07 off road... even black and mine bottoms out the rear suspension, well at least hits the bump stops even on speed bumps, unless I go very gentle. and don't get me wrong, I'm not the guy that flies through parking lots. even on the freeway, large bump where they have resurfaced portions can caue it, at least with gear and/or passengers. It is not horrible, but noticable, kinda get use to it...

Aside from that, the only other issue i had was the steering position sensor causing the vdc light to come on, dealer fixed... well that and I dropped hi hi lift on the the rear upper corner when mounting it, that was a great feeling.... couple months old, big jack, big scratch... but now there is no excuse to get more :blackeye:

·
on line
3,285 Posts
2006 XOR 4x4 Auto:
Weak rear springs - added 2 full-size leafs to each side.
Blown rear shock - switched to Rancho 9000s.
Failed fuel sending unit - replaced under warranty.
Squeaky Hood - adjusted stops and added felt pads.

My X is at 35K miles, and I've had a blast driving it on and off-road!
:eek:ccasion5:

·
on line
255 Posts
07blackOR and KXterra,
I(we) also have an '07 OR, stock, and it hits the rear bump stops on speed bumps, etc. as well.
Overall ride quality is good for a real off road able, truck based SUV.
No other issues, so far, with 10K miles on it.
Although, come to think of it, when I am going down a long down grade on a highway at about 65 and gently take my foot off the gas just a little, I hear a VERY faint high pitched whine that appears to be coming from the rear. It goes away when I gently press down on the gas again. I never really noticed this before. Hummm. Picky?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts